Storm damage or nature's pruning

Old 07-31-03, 08:31 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Storm damage or nature's pruning

I have been nurturing and shaping the big crape myrtles in my yard. I was to the point that I felt as if I would not need to do any more major pruning to shape them. All I would need to do would be tend to the suckers, when they came along.

Last night's storm changed all that. It seems that mother nature decided that the plants should be pruned differently. The wind and heavy rain caught some of the branches and flowering stems and broke them off at the trunk. Now they are pruned differently.

We have to work with nature.

Old 07-31-03, 09:36 AM
We must work with Nature

Chris

We watched that Monster of a storm last night. It split in two as it came up the Mountains. Sorry to hear about the crape myrtles.

By Midnight tonight, we will pass 10 inches of rain for the month of July. We have fungal problems the likes, I have never seen before. Dog Vomit or Witches Butter is all over & plants like Squash dying from Alternaria Leaf Blight.

This will be a year we won't soon forget.

Old 08-04-03, 03:34 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by chfite
We have to work with nature.
As I said down in C&W a few weeks ago; If it is not one thing, it's another. I haven't looked at the stats for the research site at the end of the road, but at the official station, we got ¾" of rain in July and it was most likely less at my house, because most of the moisture tends to stay on the other side the mountains and out of the valley...

Of course, other than about a ¼" of snow sometime last winter; July was the first moisture since November. What we've done to the yard, flowers and bushes looks terrific; (Though, the sunflowers are a bit short, but I think that's because they are too close to the heat-holding wall of my compound and required more water); But, I just got the water bill for last month and it probably cost me $30 to get this effect and I can only thank my lucky stars that they haven't instituted any rationing, locally.

Keep Passing Open Windows;
R

Old 08-07-03, 12:22 PM
B
we're losing trees here

I was reading an article in the local paper. Trees in this area are suffering lots of damage this year. The drought last year weakend them and the heavy rains this year caused root damage. Then the winds come and bye-bye limbs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: