downspout issues

Old 08-04-03, 06:50 AM
jwillie
Visiting Guest
downspout issues

I've got downspout problem:

One of out downspouts empties right into a new flower bed. I loved the buried downspout system recommended by Howie, but that means going under a new stone path.

I should add that the ground slopes towards the house.

Does anyone have ideas?

jack

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-03, 07:41 AM
There is nothing like a new flower bed.

The landscaping should always direct water away from your most valuable possession, your house.

You could dig a swale for the downspout's discharge to hold the water until it soaks into the ground. You could dig a pit for the discharge and fill the pit with hardwood mulch. It would hold water, not be unattractive, and the fill will support foot traffic so that no one will be impeded by its presence.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-04-03, 07:57 AM
jwillie
Visiting Guest
Chris:

Yeah, after hauling cart after cart of top soil, its cool to sit and take in the finished product. Can't wait to get plants into it this fall.

Your idea sounds pretty simple and cheap. Would you recommending putting the swale in the middle of the bed? That would be great since it would be virually invisible as we plan to mulch over the bed anyway. All you'd see would be a mulched spot without plantings.

Thanks!!

jack

Old 08-04-03, 08:20 AM
jwillie
Visiting Guest
dumb question

Okay, I thought I could get away without asking this -- but its time to admit my ignorance.

what is a swale?

jack

Old 08-04-03, 08:42 AM
I don't know what a swale is either but I have seen a retractable attatchment you put it on the end of the downspout and when it rains the weight of the water causes it to roll out a few feet and after it's done ot rolls itself back up.

Old 08-04-03, 08:57 AM
jwillie
Visiting Guest
Ah, I've seen those retractable attachments. A good idea, as well.

Thanks!

Old 08-04-03, 10:17 AM
A swale is a shallow ditch for catching runoff. You might see them in newly constructed office parks and shopping centers off to the side to catch the drainage from the parking lot rather than overload the storm drainage system.

Some swales are planted so that they are not so apparent. Putting it in the midst of the bed would help hide it.

Here is a photo of one at my house.

http://ac5r.org/landscape/slides/28-2003-07-10.html

It has a peach tree planted in the middle of it, because peach trees use a lot of water. This will hold about 450 gallons of water. It will percolate into the surrounding area in just a few minutes. The hardwood mulch decays over time, so it has to be renewed every couple of years. I have dumped some sawdust from my shop into the area to get rid of it. The earthworms consume almost anything in there anyway. This bed is being reworked, so it looks rough. The drain lines come into it from behind the tree. As I mentioned, you can walk on the filling of hardwood mulch, so you don't have to worry about falling into the hole. The hole is 7 feet in diameter and 18 inches deep. It took 2 yards of mulch to fill it.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-04-03, 10:42 AM
jwillie
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the description. I understand how it works now.

By the way, nice peach tree!

jack

Old 08-04-03, 10:52 AM
Thanks.