How to keep leaf hoppers off plants?

Old 08-04-03, 08:58 AM
NANNAKIM
Visiting Guest
Angry How to keep leaf hoppers off plants?

I have three Hawiian Frangi Pangis that I put outside in summer. They are all very big and have only bloomed once in three years. Anyway, I need to know how to keep those pesky leaf hoppers off so they don't destroy my plants. Any help??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-03, 10:31 AM
Here is a page off of a site dedicated to plumeria rubra, a beautiful plant. This page deals specifically with the grasshopper issue.

http://www.plumeria101.com/problems/grasshopper.html

Hope this helps.

Old 08-04-03, 11:59 AM
NANNAKIM
Visiting Guest
I looked at the website you suggested, couldn't find anything that resembled the bug I've got. It's maybe 1/4 inch long and tan colored. Any ideas??

Old 08-04-03, 12:07 PM
Take a look at leafhoppers.r.us

http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/~dietrich/Leafhome.html

HTH

Old 08-04-03, 12:18 PM
NANNAKIM
Visiting Guest
Chris, Still didn't see what little critter I have. But they sure jump a long way. Maybe it's not a leaf hopper after all. Since I don't know specifically what they are, is there some kind of general treatment I can use to keep them at bay?

Old 08-04-03, 02:00 PM
If it is a chewing insect, sevin dust might do it.

If you are not sure what it is, are you sure that it is causing damage to the plant? Some plants are not bothered significantly by pests. I have a moon vine with aphids on it, but they don't seem to bother it.

If you caught one and had it identified, that might help.

Good luck.

Old 08-04-03, 07:49 PM
Covenant
Visiting Guest
County Ag agent

Down here in Texas, you can usually get good help from the county ag agent. Check your phone book for a listing and email a picture or capture one of the beast for the agent. I'll bet he can identify and offer a solution. When you said leafhopper, I figured you ment grasshopper. We constantly battle the rascals here and I've tried everything from Nosema Locustae ( a grasshopper bacteria) to all the pesticides. I can't seem to find a perminate cure.
Good luck and let us know what happens.
Terry

Old 08-04-03, 10:02 PM
Smile Pest Management Sticky a world of help.

Hi NANNAKIM

Up in our Pest Management Sticky you will find other sites that will help you to identify the many Bugs.

Also rember all bugs don't eat plants so watch for and look under the leaves for bugs that are munching your plant.

The bugs you seek to kill may just be helping you to kill the bugs who are eating your plant.

I agree you can take your plant leaves into the County Agent & they will help you find out whats really bugging you