Heavy white stuff on Lilac Bush leaves

Old 08-04-03, 10:06 AM
NANNAKIM
Visiting Guest
Question Heavy white stuff on Lilac Bush leaves

Is the white stuff on my lilac bush leaves some kind of mildew? Will it hurt the bush? I never have many blooms on it, could this be the reason? It it a mature plant that I never prune. Hasn't really looked like it needed it. What do I do?? Thanks ahead of time.

Old 08-04-03, 11:48 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is a rundown on lilac pests.

Disease:
Lilacs are susceptible to a couple of plant diseases. Most common is powdery mildew. Powdery mildew occurs most frequently during hot and humid weather. Treat any outbreak early. Apply a general purpose fungicide two or three times about a week apart as soon as the problem is spotted. For major outbreaks, trim away infected branches and dispose of.them. Do not add them to the compost heap.While this disease can cause major problems with more tender fruits, flowers and vegetables, it will generally not cause long term or serious problems for your bush. Powdery mildew's unsightly appearance is the biggest negative for Lilacs.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-04-03, 01:02 PM
NANNAKIM
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Chris. I'm going to Ace Hardware right away to buy the fungicide.

Old 08-23-09, 04:16 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
serious black spot on lilac

My lilac has a serious black spot problem. I did not do anything about it because i didn't realize it was a fungal problem. there are no spots like most black spot. The tips and edges of the leaves started turning black and now it is almost all over the lilac. We have had a lot of rain this year but the same problem happened in past years and I thought is was the drought. I will start spraying today but any other ideas? The lilac doesn't bloom and now I know why. It does have buds setting right now. Please let me know if I should do anything else to help it.

I transplanted the lilac about 5 or 6 years ago when it was small. It is about 5 feet tall and has only had a couple of bloom on it one year. Could the fungicide be the blooming problem too?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: