judging gardens? criteria?

Old 08-11-03, 09:22 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
judging gardens? criteria?

I was thinking of trying to hold/sponsor a Pittsburgh based "city garden" contest like they have in Philadelphia

http://www.pennsylvaniahorticultural...rg/city97.html

I don't know of any current garden contests going on in the area, and it seems like a good idea to get people gardening/buying more perrennials! My real concern is judging the gardens. Has anyone here judged something like this? I am unsure how I or the judges panel would pick the actual winner? Some people like more formal while some like more natural gardens. I would have a hard time if I personally had to pick a winner.

THanks for ideas -Josh

Old 08-13-03, 01:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello Josh

As you elude to, gardening can be and often is a very personal thing - there are almost as many 'styles' as there are people doing the gardening.

Back in the 'old days' when Master Gardeners ruled the roost, there were ways to do things and nothing except what the Master said would work. In todays' more 'enlightened' Society, everyone's opinion counts for something, so a lot of the 'rules' have fallen by the wayside.

A gardening competition will work if you or a committee of people decide what the groundrules will be and then judge accordingly after making all participants aware what you expect.

You could break up the competition into categories such as (just examples - there are many, many more...) formal gardens, shade gardens, annual gardens, vegetables, perennial beds, garden themes, colour themes, or you could get clinical and define how high you want a certain plant, what the spread should be, when it flowers, etc...

A panel of judges (media personalities, Nursery people/horticulturists, Municipal experts, etc) who are recognized locally often helps.

Not much help, I know, but it could work as long as the whole thing is enjoyable for the participants and the rules are set out by the judges and not changed except by general consensus.

Good Luck with your idea

Howie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: