Landscape Beds

Old 08-21-03, 12:29 PM
controlpeddler
Visiting Guest
Landscape Beds

I have a new house and am beginning to do the lanscape beds this weekend and just have a question. I am having top soil brought in so I can make some little mounds(hills & valleys) in the beds. On one of the mounds(on the corner of the house) that I will create I want to plant a Crepe Myrtle 5-6 foot tall and am concerned about how to actually plant the tree in a newly created mound of dirt-The mounds I will create will probably be around 10-12" tall. Do I need to plant the tree and then mound up dirt around it? or do I make the mound and then plant the tree in the new mound? I have seen some landscaping here in town where people bring dirt in and make hills and valleys in the beds and that is what I want to accomplish. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-03, 02:08 PM
Mound the dirt up as you choose first. Then plant any shrubs, trees or flowers in the mounds at the existing (pot) depth.

Mounding after planting can kill the plants.

fred

Old 08-25-03, 04:34 AM
mound first - then wait

Do the mounds first - then wait a bit before doing any planting. Soil will compact about 25% in a year. You can speed that process up by tamping down the dirt, then watering well for a few weeks.

The compacting means you'll need to mound 16" to end up with a 12" mound.

You have plenty of time to plant. You can plant up until the ground freezes.