drought tolerant plants

Old 08-22-03, 11:40 AM
jetcitymom
Visiting Guest
Question drought tolerant plants

Hi!

I live in the Northwest and have an area in my backyard that could be described as a "sloping island". There are two large deciduous trees planted in there, along with a holly bush and two rhododendrons. These are mostly on the top of the island, which is the flattest part, so they seem to get enough water.

I would like to plant some shrubs or other plants on the perimeter of the island (the sloping part), but am not sure what would do well there. Since the water tends to run off, it would probably have to be something that requires little moisture.

Any suggestions on what to plant there would be appreciated. If possible, I would like something low-maintenance, too.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-03, 05:04 PM
Low maintenance is my favorite plant. If the top of the island is moist enough for plants, the sides and base will be, too. Water runs downhill, but tends to be evenly distributed through the soil. If the hill is mulched to retard evaporation, there should be plenty of moisture for whatever you want to plant. Remember that the big trees will get the lion's share of the water

Some of my favorite low maintenance shrubs are azaleas, indian hawthorne, otto leuken laurels, and holly. You might want to check to see what is popular in your area. I am in zone 7.

Hope this helps.