Mole Traps By Victor

Old 08-31-03, 06:16 AM
Mole Traps By Victor

Has anyone on this forum actually had any success using the Victor model 0645 plunger/harpoon trap? And please, I don't want to hear about old wives tales like juicy fruit gum, & other no-trap remedies etc.

Everything I've read about this particular trap; on this & other forums, says that the trap springs but never impales the mole. They just go on to raise hell in your lawn for another day. I've had this same experinece happen to me several times now.

I spoke to Victor customer service about this. They claimed that if the mole sees even a speck of light around the trap because of the way it's placed in the ground, they will backfill the tunnel - apparently to protect against predators. This supposedly causes the trap to trigger but the mole is protected because it's not under the trap when backfilling.

Their suggested cure was to place a bucket over the trap so light is prevented from entering the tunnel above it. But guess what? Even with buckets over the trap they still don't nail the mole as claimed.

Unless some one can tell me that they have actually had good success using this trap - & how they do it - the traps are going back to Lowes for a refund.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-03, 08:39 AM
Here is an informative site on moles.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/w-fact/0011.html

From what I understand about moles, I would conclude that they are quite aware of changes in their environment and react protectively. To me, that would include avoiding anything that had changed.

There seems to be a certain amount of finesse associated with setting traps. Perhaps this article can assist you with your endeavors.

Old 08-31-03, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the reply Chris. And you are probably correct that moles are very sensitive to changes in their environment.

However, how can one rationalize that the Victor mole trap is worth a darn if it's tripped by a mole but yet it doesn't impale it. Five times now this has happened. The trap is placed in an active run & triggered by some thing - presumably a mole.

The trap is supposedly designed to be triggered when a mole is under it and pushes the dirt up with its back. If it will do it's job, the trap should impale the mole - but it doesn't. Seems to me to be a case of poor design with strong marketing hype to sell it.

At this point, since no one has come forward to say that they have actually killed any moles with this trap on this & other forums; I have already returned them to Lowes for a refund.

Old 08-31-03, 06:04 PM
I think you did the best thing by returning the trap.