Suggestions for trees?

Old 09-01-03, 12:12 AM
KatWoman
Visiting Guest
Suggestions for trees?

I currently have 2 carob trees and a mulberry tree in my backyard. The carobs arent doing so well (they are 30+ years old) and my fiance and I are thinking of cutting them down and planting something else in their place. I live in AZ in Glendale where it gets pretty hot in the summer. I am looking for ideas for nice trees that can tolerate the heat and not be too messy...i.e. I don't really want something that drops fruit or berries. I am also looking for something that will shade the backside of the house, which faces west. The carob trees have helped keep the electric bill civil during the summer. Any suggestions are appreciated

Old 09-01-03, 08:29 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here is a source of free landscaping consulting for Glendale.

http://www.ci.glendale.az.us/WaterCo...consulting.cfm

You might check with your county extension service for choices of trees suited for your particular environment. Also, take a look around at what is growing in your area.

Here are some more sites pertinent to living in a parched location:

http://www.ci.glendale.az.us/WaterCo...tion/Links.cfm

Here is some information on fast-growing shade trees for your area.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...ing0709Z2.html

I will throw this out: You have mature trees that provide shade. You want to cut them and replace them. 30 year old trees still take 30 years to grow. Why do you want to cut them? If there is a fast-growing tree for your locale, it will likely take ten years for a large specimen to reach significant height.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-01-03, 04:15 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Trees

When making your selection, keep in mind their size at maturity and where you place them in the landscape.

Old 09-01-03, 11:07 PM
KatWoman
Visiting Guest
Thanks to both of you for your replies. Basically the reason we want to get rid of the trees is because they are both in not so great shape, alot of dead branches, the bark is splitting on both and exposing the wood underneath. The female carob tree has some nasty growths coming up out of the ground. Best way to describe it is that it looks like blobs of shaving cream with a brownish tint to it. I have never seen this before. I am suspecting (after some research) that it may have root rot and don't want it to infect my mulberry tree. My fiance and I plan on redoing the landscaping as well and would also like to do a koi pond. So we need to figure out what to do about the trees before that project begins. The house was originally my parents' and my dad never had the trees pruned. So we want to start with something new and take care of it properly from the beginning

Old 09-02-03, 03:50 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It does seem that cleaning house is in order with your trees. I am not harping on trees, but I see many people cut down trees without a thought to the investment of time in them.

When we moved here, I had a landscape plan developed. I told the architect that the 4 dogwoods had to stay. Not because I am a particular fan of dogwoods, but these were at least 40 years old. We did fell an oak tree. It had been planted with the root ball undeployed and all the roots went round and round in the same area. It had a 6 inch trunk, but could be rocked in the ground. It was so unstable and would never develop properly. It had a root ball the size of a medicine ball, no larger. It would never have done anything. All the roots had grown into a solid mass.

A landscape plan, properly thought-out and developed, is a marvelous roadmap to a truly enjoyable home.

Good luck, and check back if you want.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: