Tree damage by "weatherproof" stain

Old 09-08-03, 09:23 PM
kittn135
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Tree damage by "weatherproof" stain

My friend and I stained my deck (on 2nd level of townhouse) w/ Thompson's Solid Cape Cod GrayStain scuff proof - which also had waterproofer/weatherbeater in it already. We complied w/ the directions and first drenched the ground by the tree (type? - Maryland area - big green leaves - no berries) w/ water and also "watered" the tree leaves. We tried to use a drop cover on the tree but that was harder than you'd think. Some of the stain ended up dripping (esp when we rolled on the stain to do the deck floorboards) on the tree leaves. The next day I again watered the rees and the leaves (carefully). And the next 4 days it rained pretty steady. But now clumps of tree leaves are brown and "crinkled" on several branches - notably where the deck floor boards are. A few leaves in other places have spots of stain on them. Any ideas on how to save the tree? It's already been watered.... Should I cut the brown branches or just pull the brown leaves? What about the spotted stained leaves - does it spread and kill the whole brach or tree b/c the stain blocks the sun/water, etc..... Any food/chemical to help the tree?? (PS - I checked the deck postings and nothing similar there)..... Thanks - I love this tree - I planted it from the Arbor Day Foundation when it was only 8" - it's now over 8' tall! Shari. ([email protected])

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-03, 10:20 PM
Generally, this type of chemical will kill only the leaves where it has spilt on them. Even if the tree may have taken it up into the system, there is likely nothing that can be done at this point to mitigate the damage to the tree. Trees rarely take in chemicals through the bark. I would not cut any limbs. Just be patient and see how your patient does.

Hope this helps.