Building a path/walkway

Old 09-30-03, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building a path/walkway

One of our fall/winter projects is going to be taking out a lot of our St. Augustine grass and adding "natural" Texas landscaping to about 30-40% of our yard. At the same time we want to add a gravel path, strong enough to drive our golf cart on.

We haven't decided yet to run a path through the front yard where it would meander from one end of the yard to the other. Or to just take it through the back yard. The back yard gets very little sun since our house sits so far back on the lot. In the rainy season I can see it just becoming a mud bath back there.

Has anyone seen any ideas, plans, tricks of the trade for gravel paths. I know I'll need to provide drainage from one side to the other, but I"m unsure about base materials, how much buildup, top coat, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frank

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-03, 09:26 AM
Taking off from the usual paving techniques, and this:

http://www.doityourself.com/brick/brickpaver.htm

It seems that an approach would be to plan for a path with some kind of border to retain the gravel: curved metal, brick, poured concrete; and some substructure with landscape fabric over it to keep the gravel from sinking overmuch into the base and prevent weeds from coming up from the suburface soil. A compacted base would keep the gravel steadier than otherwise. Constructing as in the paver project takes drainage into account.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-01-03, 07:00 PM
Thanks,
I'm going to print that up and take it to our first class tomorrow evening. This is one project I didn't want to tackle myself, but after having 3 landscapers come out to look that yard over and prepare an estimate, NONE OF THEM EVER CAME OR CALLED BACK.

This would probably be a $6K-$8K job for them but I guess none of them wanted it. So we'll plan it ourselves and then just hire some "casual laborers" for the heavy stuff.

Oh well.

Thanks

Frank