Fertilizer for plants, scrubs, trees

Old 10-09-03, 11:27 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Fertilizer for plants, scrubs, trees

Can someone tell me the best practice to follow for fertilizing plants, scrubs, trees as well as what type of fertilizer to use. I live in the midwest (St. Louis Metro). Have plante some new things this fall and want to make sure they get off to the proper start. Thanks!

Old 10-09-03, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Feeding some this early could hurt.

Some folks give the grass a late season feeding, but it would be safer if you put off the feeding of Trees & Perenials until late late Spring.

Why? Because using a 5-10-15 blend can cause plants & trees to come out to early. That will put the plants tender vegitation in a position to get hit by Frost & Freezes.

The 5-10-15 is a good blend for Fruit Veggies & Flowers.

Even if you wait until things start to pop out, you are safer than Winter feeding or early Spring as well. Feeding has a quick reaction, that can be both good or bad.

Marturo

Old 10-09-03, 09:24 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I like to use slow-release fertilizers or organics. Organics tend to be slow to release by their very nature.

Don't feed anything right now, except pansies. Water is more important in the winter, because things tend to dry out with no rain. One tends to forget about watering because it is so cold.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: