Potted Poincettia

Old 10-11-03, 12:11 PM
sabelle
Visiting Guest
Question Potted Poincettia

Hi, will pruning a potted poincettia decrease it's stalkiness?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-03, 01:23 PM
poincettia

Hi sabelle

It will help however, more light like gro tubes set for 18 to 20 hours, then reset later to 12 to 15 hrs will cause them to make the red Bracts, & yellow flowers in late Nov or early Dec.

More and longer light has the effect of making the plant short & bushy.

Marturo

Old 10-12-03, 10:10 AM
sabelle
Visiting Guest
Poincettias

Thanks Marturo, That's why they're doing as well as they are I have them outside. I live in So. Fl. one's just stalkier then the other. Will they change color on they're own outside. These are the 1st I've had survive the year.

Old 10-12-03, 02:35 PM
Smile Color change

Hi sabelle

sabell asked: Will they change color on they're own outside?

Yes they will, only not at the same time the Forced ones do. We have kept them for fun over winter in our greenhouse. Sometimes they busrt out with red leaves the next July there just fun to have a second or third time around.

Our Green house serves many uses, we start our seeds for the Spring & Summer crops in there, & all winter we have lettuce, Chard, Carrots, Tat Soi etc growing inground, so we don't have to pay the high prices the Health Food stores charge for Organic Produce in Winter.

We keep a few Mother plants over winter, then in Spring we take & root many cuttings so we don't have to pay for our annuals, some of those Double Impations are pricey

Back to your plant, just hold back on the food until late Dec, & then you will see new growth so feed them, cut the leggy back & enjoy

Marturo