Tree trimming questions

Old 10-31-03, 07:32 PM
Rockrz
Visiting Guest
Tree trimming questions

We've got a Pecan tree in our backyard that is getting to be a problem. The limbs are getting pretty long and are starting to break when they get loaded down with Pecans.

We don't harvest the Pecans, so I'm wanting to cut the tree back pretty far so we don't have to deal with broken limbs.

My wife doesn't think this is a good idea since the tree is about 25+ years old. I've always heard that trimming a tree way back is good for it and makes it start growing, which helps keep the tree healthy.

Is this true?

Also, should we wait until cold weather gets here to trim it? Someone was telling me that is the best time to trim a tree.

Any ideas on the best course of action to take from someone with experience in this would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-03, 08:38 PM
Smile Trimming Nut Trees

Hi Rockrz,

This is a good link to not only learn by, but ask questions from Nut tree growers in a forum. I don't have nut trees, but it has been my observation that cutting to much can do more harm than good when it comes to trimming Trees.

Give this link a try, & you may find other good links there also some closer to your home, you never know.

Good luck on your late Winter task.

http://www.icserv.com/nnga/

Marturo

Old 10-31-03, 09:21 PM
Rockrz
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the tip, marturo.

I'll check out the link and see what I can learn.
Thanks again . . .

Old 11-01-03, 06:23 AM
As you can learn from the site referred, there is much planning and thought in pruning trees. So many just chop away at trees without considering what the effects are on the tree. The old wives tale of cutting one back to enhance the growth will generally ruin a tree when it is done the way I see it done so often. Someone cuts of the ends of the branches at various points and creates a bushy limb with little appeal and little strength.

The methods of reducing tree height and breadth include heading the tree back, and reducing the crown. When done properly, the tree benefits from being pruned properly and the landowner benefits by having a tree that still has appeal, is structurally sound, and will grow in its normal fashion.

When you get through with your pruning, it will almost seem as if you had done nothing. The tree will still look as it is supposed to look.

One of my favorite sites on how to prune a tree.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/ho...ne/prun001.htm

Hope this helps.