Rain water does not drain from backyard.

Old 11-03-03, 03:33 PM
Unhappy Rain water does not drain from backyard.

Hi,

In my backyard, I have seen water accumulating after rain. It damages the grass and general look of the backyard. I think my backyard does not have proper runoff slope for water to leave the yard. My house is in typical neighborhood and is not very big. So my backyard is kind of in enclosed space (surrounded by backyards of my neighbors) and can understand how rain water may not have enough space to leave the yard.

So I was thinking of digging a trench through my backyard and putting a big perforated pipe covered with mesh and drain that pipe to street, so that rain water after soaking the ground can get into the pipe through perforations and drain to the street.

Is this possible? What is this technique called? What precautions do I need to take if I plan to do this? Any word of advice? How much of slope is recommended? What size and kind of pipe would be good?

If this is not the proper way to remedy water saturation, then what are other alternatives?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-03, 07:55 PM
A respected way of doing what you propose is called a french drain.

http://www.repair-home.com/how_to/cr...ench_drain.htm

http://grounds-mag.com/ar/grounds_ma..._french_drain/

These should cover the subject.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-05-03, 07:26 AM
French Drain

Hi Chfite,

Thanks for the information. It was helpful, but have few questions.

The web link from http://grounds-mag.com website talks about french drain with and without drain pipe. Which one works better? Are there any specific advantages of one over the other?

The web link from http://www.repair-home.com talks about using corrugated drain pipe. Can I use regular 4" dia PVC pipe as well?

Do these pipe get clogged with soil and grass roots over period of time? Any idea about maintenance of french drain?

Thanks. I appreciate any input!

Old 11-05-03, 08:48 AM
With or without pipe depends upon whether you are just collecting water or if you need to move a fair amount of it. I would use pipe, just in case the other might not do. The amount of work is the same to make one or the other.

The black, corrugated pipe may be cheaper. I think that PVC is easier to work with and to slope properly.

To keep debris out of the lines, line the ditch with landscape fabric to keep dirt out of the fill gravel. Fold the fabric over the gravel, then fill with soil. This will keep dirt out of the pipe as well.

Water passes freely through landscape fabric, but roots and dirt will not.

If the soil and roots are kept out there should be little maintenance.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-05-03, 09:03 AM
as always, chfite is giving you very good advise. however, we have had problems with the fabric on french drains. sometimes algae will grow on the fabric and restrict the flow of water. we avoid using fabric all together. i would just dig the ditch deep enough to put a few incches of pea gravel under the pipe, install the pipe with fall, cover pipe with gravel, then fill the last few inches of the ditch with sand. i would not use dirt to finish off the trench. sand will move the water out faster, and you can still grow grass over it.

Old 11-05-03, 11:14 AM
Smile Our trouble with fabric as a cover

Hi YogiWatcher

We have Red clay & as you know it will not perk. I tried Landscaping fabric the first few times as a cover, until we noticed it was not draining. Rootlets had meshed into the cloth making it more like plastic than cloth.

If we had a sandy soil I'm sure it would not matter that much, so I have to agree that Fabric is not for every drain. Sand should be packed down well as it will settle, one trick we found was to lay a cover of nylon window screen over the stone before laying down the sand.

Over the last 5 years we have been amending the lawn & growing areas with pelitized Gypsum. Over all, I believe we have better drainage due to the drains, & Gypsum's action on the clay.

This was one of the wettest years we have had with right at 10 inches of rain in May. If not for the drains & Gypsum treatments, I do believe we would have lost much more than produce. As it was we still had 1/3 of our Raspberries plants drown & die out. Always build your drains a little more, or bigger than you need for normal rainfall.

Good luck to you on your task.

Marturo

Old 11-05-03, 04:56 PM
Another option is to grade your yard to run the water to one side and install a drain and pipe rather than french drain.

Old 11-06-03, 04:27 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the information.

Chifite said,
install a drain and pipe rather than french drain
How Drain and Pipe is different than French Drain?

Old 11-06-03, 06:10 AM
i think he is talking about a catch basin type sysyem. focus the water to one area and let it release thru the pipe.

Old 11-06-03, 01:27 PM
Now I understand. I think this approach probably will be better as it may not require lot of maintenance due to clogged pipes.

Old 11-09-03, 10:57 AM
What is the best way to dig a trench in the yard. Since I bought this house as 5th owner. I do not have any idea as where the underground pipes (sprinkler pipes), and utility pipes/wires are. I called utility companies and they marked the lines coming to my house. But beyond that I do not know how and where these are laid out.

I am afread if I use trencher, it will cut through pipes and wires (if they are present). Any suggestions?

Old 11-09-03, 04:51 PM
If the utility companies have marked their things all that is left would be drain lines or sprinkler. Take a look at this site to get a feel for telling where sprinkler lines may be located.

http://www.jessstryker.com/

If it were me, I would do my best to determine where the sprinkler lines were, but use a trencher and repair the ones that get cut.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-16-11, 10:20 PM
we are traying to do a french drain, a friend told us is dig two feet down and a last six inbches across , we did it , but next to the walk side arround the house 4 feet away fron the fundation .I am afraid the water stuks there and do not go to the street because we end it digging 3 feet deep, what is gone to happen to all that water, I think 1 feet of grabel , is gone to keep the water very close from the fundation and the humidity will be demage my side walks and the fundations, we did it arround the house , but i think very close from the house,please help me, we are not finish it , yes the diging

Old 09-18-12, 08:15 AM
moving water underground in your backyard

I had the same issue but a lot of underground water, high ground water. I used what are called Infiltrators, kind of like a french drain system on steroids. Hired a backhoe guy, and my local Roto Rooter guy (who does this on the side) helped install. My basement has been bone dry ever since. And this house I bought supposedly had french drains around it but if they were there, they were so far away as to be useless in actually protecting my basement. Good luck!