Used potting soil

Old 11-22-03, 02:29 AM
jburd641
Visiting Guest
Used potting soil

I have several large pots that are now empty for the season. I was wondering what I should do with all the soil that is left in them. Should I spread some of it into my compost bin? Is there a way to give this soil nutrients over the winter so I can use it again next spring? I'd like to pile it up somewhere that cats won't use it for their bathroom. I've already covered my flower beds with straw for the season, so that's not an option without a lot of extra work that, right now, I don't have time for. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I live in W. KY. so the winters aren't especially long or harsh.

Old 11-22-03, 05:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your option:
You can dump in on the compost bin, or do what I do.
I move the pots to a more protected area (just so they wont freeze and crack). Miine are large plastic pots on my deck for tomatos and cukes. Then in the early spring just add some 10-10-10 fertz to the soil and your ready to replant. I've been re-using this soil for quite a few years.

fred

Old 11-23-03, 05:22 PM
Smile Reusing potting soil

Hi jburd641

You asked:

Is there a way to give this soil nutrients over the winter so I can use it again next spring?

Like the advice I give on useing spent Mushroom Compost for fill dirt in raised bed gardens. Spent potting soil is very much the same, & needs to rebuild it's nurturients & bactieria. Mixing it with Compost would do this very well.

We use both Compost & in the Fall, Manures & shreaded plant material tilled into the soil. Compost is plant ready food, while the raw humatic materials feed the Bactieria, who then in turn make's it into plant foods. You need both for a healthy living soil. We use no salt based plant foods of any kind.

Also as you know composting will kill out with heat any eggs & disease your potting soil has picked up over it's first use. We spend quite a bit to get sterile potting soil for our spring, Summer & Fall seedlings. Since we have much of our produce sold already we can't take any chances with our soil used in seed starting.

I have met & talked with some Farmers who toss a handfull of 10-10-10 into the Compost believing it to stimulate the bacteria. I find the more air you can get into the pile, is the key to speeding Composting.

Old 11-23-03, 09:12 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Freezing and cracking...

Hi Fred,

Will the terra cotta pots be okay as long as they are dry when stored in the garage for the winter?

Thanks,
~Marcia

Old 11-23-03, 09:50 PM
Hi Marcia,

Good to 'see' - hear from you.
Your clay pots will be fine in an unheated garage if they are dry.
In the past, I had lost a couple by leaving them outside. The ice froze and cracked them.

see ya,
fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: