Hybrid Seed?

Old 11-26-03, 01:24 PM
Hybrid Seed?

When you use Hybrid seed to produce something like "Okra" (now why did I pick that, LOL) what happens if you plant the seed from the "crop", (drying it like you would normally of course)? Does it revert to some mutant form or what?
Changeling

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-03, 04:12 PM
Ordinarily, hybrids or what we commonly see today will not breed true. The seeds will be sports or throwbacks to the original base plant. Some are sterile, producing inert seeds.

For example, my understanding is that apples as we know them are far removed from the original apple which produces a small, unpleasant fruit. The fruit is supposed to be edible after a frost. If the small, compact marigold we know is let to seed, it produces a large, rangey plant with small flowers.

On the other hand, some plants are not too far removed and will produce true or close to what you see. I let some pansies go last year and got pansies, only quite small.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-27-03, 12:48 PM
So I guess it's a matter of hit and miss?
Changeling

Old 11-27-03, 01:37 PM
Smile Seeds

At some time in a Gardeners life they want to learn how it all began. Well it went kinda like this, one day we were picking & eating wild food then soon we were bringing the seed back & protecting the plants that fed us in gardens.

In all this time we were selecting the seed from the best plants & then we learned how to use parts of 1 or more Tomatos to breed with. Today we have learned how to choose DNA from many plants & even Human Genes to produce what we want in Seeds.

http://www.humeseeds.com/hybrdlvr.htm

http://www.gene.ch/gentech/1998/Nov-Dec/msg00191.html

http://www.biotech-info.net/lawsuits_follow.html

These are just a few links on the feelings people have both pro & con. One verry important concept I have taught my Son as I was taught before him. When we use ways to make our life more convient, there is always a pay back. One example is you have to pay more at a Convience store than a big store where we must walk farther to find what we need.

As I mentioned once before we grow Open pollenated, Antique, Heirloom seeds & plants. Even though my friend in Ca sent me this (Brandywine) Tomato seed, it will be different after I grow it in NC for 5 years. Life changes plants & animals however not the way Mankind has with Hybrids, GMOs & the much feared Terminator Seed Technology.

The study of how we got here is well worth the time & study. Something as important as our food, ranks right up there with Air & Water.

Marturo

Old 11-28-03, 12:58 PM
Marturo will you please write a book/books and put me down for everyone you write! You have a unique and great way of expressing yourself in writing. Absolutely not kidding one bit.
Changeling

Old 11-28-03, 07:34 PM
Smile Some day I think will.

Thank you for the suggestions & the compliment. I would dare say that once you got to know the unique Moderators we have @ DIY you would say the same of them. We share a common bond that may be rare today, yet it seems to be catching.

Although we differ in our Forums, however we all share one thing. Independance of thought & freedom from fear of failure. There is also that drive to help our fellow man that drives us to work so hard.

Growing up around the World may have given me an edge in explaining how things work, but that's what a teacher must learn. I see a rise in people wanting to try to do things for themselves today. Could be a feeling of helpness due to the feeling that those we trusted to protect us really can't do it?

I guess when your 11 years old in a foreign City you get the big picture. You are all alone save what you have learned about people & how to comunicate. A book or books yes I have thought along those lines for some time now. Title? Just me and some thoughts about us. The story of my life LOL