Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

New Homeowner...needs advice on various issues

Old 01-16-04, 10:55 AM
DesertChildAZ
Visiting Guest

As a single woman, I just bought my first home and am trying to make some repairs myself to save some money and learn more about maintaining a home.

I have a couple projects that I want to start, but need some advice. Keep in mind that the home was built in the 60's.

BATH:

1. I need to replace the shut off valves under the sink as they are currently leaking. I didn't see any instruction on doing this on this site. Anyone have any instructions they can offer? What are the best valves to use.

2. The porcelein sink has pretty bad "browned" cracks by the drain and by the overflow that are really rusted. Is there a way to fill these and if so, how and what products should I use?

3. I really hate the vanity on this bath, but I like the tile top and backsplash. If I were to replace the vanity, would I need to remove the tile top that appears to be attached to the back wall separately from the vanity? Or can I install a vanity of the same size below the tile top, but keep the tile affixed to the wall? How would I remove the vanity below? Break it down somehow?

4. Why would I be getting immediate hot water in the shower when I turn it on, but it takes forever for the sink faucet water to get hot? What could be the problem?

KITCHEN

5. I have bought the parts to replace the drain in the kitchen (the original is all rusted, etc.). I see instructions to install, but how do I remove the original from the porcelein? If I dislodge it from the pipes under the sink, will it simply come out of the hole in the sink or will I have to chip away some kind of glue that held the original drain in there? Caulk?

6. I need to ADD a phone outlet in my bedroom/office. Is there a link on this site that instructs me on how to do that? How the heck do I go about pulling wire through walls? I assume it's done through the attic, but what do you use to pull them from one room to another within the walls???

OUTDOORS

I have a built in watering system in front and back that clearly hasn't been used for years. The timer lcd works, but I have no instructions on how to operate one of these and the former owner is clueless and didn't want to spend the money on the water to keep the landscape plush. I turned on the manual switch on both the box and the separate "on/off" switch on the property, but don't see any water flowing. How do I find out how to get it running or determine if anything underground is broken, making it unoperational? There were dogs in the back yard with the previous owners and those dogs appear to have eaten some of the sprinkler heads.

GARDENING HELP:

I have an orange tree in the backyard (in Arizona) that is only growing cherry-sized oranges before they drop off and not full sized orangees. I assume this is because it wasn't watered properly. Is there something I can do to reinforce the life of this tree? How do I water it? How often? Aside from water, is there something I can treat it with? It's not dead. It still has full leaves, but the oranges are not growing to their full-size.

Sorry if I sound stupid, but I really want to learn how to do this stuff myself and have never lived in a home before...only owner-maintained apartment complexes.

~ Kelly

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-04, 09:38 PM
Smile Orange tree

Hi Kelly

You asked:
GARDENING HELP:

I have an orange tree in the backyard (in Arizona) that is only growing cherry-sized oranges before they drop off and not full sized orangees. I assume this is because it wasn't watered properly. Is there something I can do to reinforce the life of this tree? How do I water it? How often? Aside from water, is there something I can treat it with? It's not dead. It still has full leaves, but the oranges are not growing to their full-size.

Sorry if I sound stupid, but I really want to learn how to do this stuff myself and have never lived in a home before...only owner-maintained apartment complexes.

~ Kelly

I would reccomend you address the remainder of your plumbing questions in the Plumbing Forum.

Let's asume the previous owners did not care for the tree as they should. First off give the tree a good feeding with a liqued Fish emulsium & Kelp plant food. This will get it going & asure that it has all it's trace micro nutrients.

Water the tree when the soil feels dry & all it needs is 1 inch of rain per week. Several deep slow waterings in a month with a black soaker hose ring will go a long way. To much water will cause problems.

Check for pests at the tips of the tree Citrus is a trap for white fly and aphids. Do a search on www.google.com like( care of Orange trees.) You will learn quite a bit about Orange trees.

Old 01-17-04, 09:27 AM
DesertChildAZ
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice on the orange tree. I'll pick up some liquid fish emulsion & Kelp plant food as well as a soaker hose and check out google.

To follow up on another issue in my question:

OUTDOORS: I managed to find a manual for my watering system online. It's a "Hardie6200". So, I programmed the timer, and I tested it, and I still get no water coming out of any of the stations.

So, I went over to the valves and what a nightmare! Valve One has both its connecting wires chewed to the bone....useless. It appears that only valve 2, 5 & 6 have both a working station wire and a ground wire into them. So, again, I tested those (I have no idea what stations are where, so I'm just checking all of my property to see if any of it is watering) and still no water. I believe I found the master valve. It is pvc pipelike and has two "towers" arising from the ground. It has a red "knob" on the back, but I'm not sure which is "on" and which way is "off". I hope it's on in the horizontal position.

The odd thing is, the timer lcd is lit up and operates, but I don't see a power cord or any power plugged in anywhere.

Based on this info, does anyone have any advice as to how I should move forward in getting my watering system operational? What should I check next?

Thanks everyone!

~ Kelly

Old 01-17-04, 12:48 PM
By coming to DIY I take it asking the previous is out. So when it comes down to having the Manual you must start at A & head to Z.

I would go to the shutting the stytem down for winter & Troubleshooting sections 1st if possable. A water valve is most likely open when the handle looks like it is running with the water & off when it looks cross wise to flow. ___|__ off , __ __> __ on.

If this was a watering system plan I would go through the basics like where the power comes on then the water & just keep notes of what you find. Some Rigs for lack of a better term can drive you mad as they defy all logic.

Back later.