Backyard draining


Old 01-18-04, 02:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Backyard draining

I purchased an urban home with a closed in yard. Drainage is terrible due to slope of yard and the addition of concrete slab for parking area. I have a rectangle area of soil bordered by my fence and concrete slabs (parking and patio) - even though I have an extended gutter tubes beyond this area it still pools with water during heavy rains. I want to plant either a vegetable or flower garden in this area but am relunctant until I solve the pooling problem. I have heard about installing a draining tube(?) or barrel which would collect the run-off water and then allow it to seep into the ground. Question (finally) - can I buy these? are there on-line instructions somewhere for building one? Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-04, 05:26 PM
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 9,483
The drain barrel in the ground is called a dry well. You can buy these at hardware stores and box stores.

Here is an article on the project.

Consider raising the bed for your garden using boards, bricks, or rocks for the sides to keep the plants from having wet feet.

Hope this helps.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes