snakes in garden

Old 02-16-04, 04:34 PM
wtgil
Visiting Guest
snakes in garden

I live on a ranch and of course there are rattle snakes everywhere. I love to work in my vegetable garden and flower garden but I am terrified that I will find a snake curled up and ready to strike. Do you have any suggestions of something that I could put out around my gardens that will be "less attractive" to snakes?

Old 02-16-04, 07:33 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Snakes are not fond of people. If you make enough noise as you approach the garden and while you are in it, the snakes should move on.

Considering how easily snakes can move about, fences will be of little use. The litter in the garden may give them the environment for their prey to abound. Otherwise, they would not come into the garden. Rodents in a garden would be carryout food for a snake.

Your county extension service may have some suggestions for you as well.

Old 02-17-04, 06:58 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
80% sulfer & 20% crushed moth balls. spread it around the garden. it burns their skin and they will haul butt. also cat are supposed to help. we lost one to a copper head a few years ago though. you could also try to get some road runners to hang around. my inlaws had snake problems until a couple started hanging around. hae not seen a snake or a shead in two years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: