How do I remove bamboo shafts from yard ?

Old 02-14-04, 07:26 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I remove bamboo shafts from yard ?

I have a large area of bamboo plants that have grown to about 12 feet high in the rear yard. They have grown all along the back of my fence, which is about 25 feet in length and the bamboo plants have expanded to as thick as 4 feet away from the fence. They have to number in the thousands. What is the best way to remove these plants and prevent future growth ?? Thanks

Old 02-14-04, 08:27 PM
Buy an elephant...hehe

But really call the local zoo. I know the zoo here buys bamboo...

Old 02-14-04, 08:37 PM
Hi eman7911

As you read on you will see how hard this plant invader is to get rid of. It like many invaders has very few natural enemys.

http://parents.berkeley.edu/recommen...en.html#bamboo

It can be done. It will be hard, but with many diferent types & styles of Bamboo. This is just one of many studies by real gardeners, & how they did win the battle of the Boo.

Old 02-14-04, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
In my younger (and more foolish) days, I planted some bamboo in the back yard. When I decided to take it out a few years ago, I cut is back severely and sprayed it with Roundup every week for a month, or so. Then, I dug it out - roots and all.

I had a few shoots for about a year that I dug completely out. Haven't seen any new growth for years.

Old 02-14-04, 10:23 PM
Smile You won that's what counts.

Hi Dave

What in the end would you say did the job? Diging, Diging & Round up, or both? What type did you have? do you recall?

Well I am happy to hear you won the War. Bamboo can live for 200 years before it starts dying from the inside out.

Old 02-15-04, 06:40 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm not sure which factor was the most effective. I knew bamboo was tough to kill so I decided to "nuke" it. Since I couldn't buy agent orange, roundup seemed like a good alternative.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the Roundup certainly weakened it and digging up the roots finished it off. The shoots were probably from bits of the roots I missed.

Mine was nowhere near as big as eman's. I had four bushes around one side of a doughboy type pool.

My next serious project will be killing off a patch of ivy. Anyone know where I can pick up a used flamethrower?

Old 02-15-04, 08:20 AM
Poison Ivy

We had some big & I mean tall, Ivy growing in & out of some Scrub Pine trees at the lower end of the Property.

On two hot days 3 Summer's ago
we sprayed some store bought white Vinegar all over the leaves & stems. Before evening they had wilted. Ok it's limp but they will come back I said, as luck would have it they died.

The vines turned brown & dried out we had to spay a spot or two but it just all died. Since them I have killed grass in sidewalks & gravel drives, all with salad Dressing LOL One thing is, it must be so hot that is the one thing that's needed to make Vinegar work so well. Also it's cheap & you can spray a lot more this way. Give it a try you may like it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: