Japanese hollies

Old 03-07-04, 05:38 PM
Unhappy Japenese hollies

I planted seven (7) compact japanese hollies along my foundation in mid september, along with some crimson pigmy barberries and blue star junipers. The hollies seemed to be doing great until about a week ago. They were deep green and grew about 1/3 thier original size since planting, but I have noticed that all are starting to turn yellowish / brown. Could it be that all are dying? I bought the plants from a local nurserie in Maryland and mixed the soil with Scotts shrub planting mix and watered thoroughly for the first month or so. The plants are in full sun for most of the day and we have been getting our share of moisture lately between rain, snow and ice. We have been having temperatures fluctuating between 40 and 70 degrees over the last two weeks. Anyone have any ideas what could be happening? Did I do something wrong? I need help before I tear them out and try again (not a cheap proposition). Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by twelvepole; 03-07-04 at 07:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-04, 07:18 PM
Japanese hollies

Don't know where you are located but in 1976 the disease, black root rot, caused by the fungus Thielaviopsis basicola, was detected in nursery containers of Japanese holly showing severe decline. Since that time, black root rot has been detected in numerous nursery and landscape plantings in Virginia and other areas and has become the major disease problem in Japanese hollies.

If you have leaf drop, this is foliar chlorosis and stunting of plant growth may appear. Although stems and leaves are not colonized by the fungus, plants suffer a gradual dieback as a result of root death. Young holly plants can be killed within weeks as a result of severe root destruction by the fungus; however, mature plants decline more slowly. There are other diseases that can produce similar symptoms.

Contact your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent regarding your plantings and their growing conditons as well as disease, symptoms, and treatment options, especially fungicides that are allowed in your area. Chemical treatments tend to vary from area to area as required by law.