Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

outdoor garden/fence in SF need advice for improvement

outdoor garden/fence in SF need advice for improvement

Old 03-08-04, 11:30 AM
hotister
Visiting Guest
Question outdoor garden/fence in SF need advice for improvement

Hi, all, I have posted two pictures here:

http://www.picturetrail.com/acoutlet/
(click on the fence)

We have a medium sized house in San Francisco, but the fence in our garden is just so old and looks really ugly... Our cash flow is kinda tight right now so we are looking for some low-budget solutions to improve its look (of this fence and the garden)... any suggestion or advices would be highly appreciated. Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-04, 04:22 PM
Fence

I had no problems with the fence. However, the soil surface appeared to be covered with concrete with a cut out for the one plant that graced the fence. I am not sure what the plant is, but it looked like Wisteria (correct me if I am wrong).

If what I perceive to be a concrete patio, there is little to do unless you cut out concrete to create a bed in front so that you can have plantings to soften the look and the straight line of the fence. "Straight beds" tend not to soften straight lines, thus beds that curve and offer varying heights in topography tend to be more creative and offer more visual appeal. If patio is concrete, then perhaps container gardening is an option. A variety of container plants in varying heights set on concrete in front of fence in attractive containers will offer both visual appeal as well as opportunities for additional gardening. If container gardening is an option, contact your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent for recommended container gardening species in your area.