rot out a stump

Old 04-02-04, 10:07 AM
OWS
Visiting Guest
rot out a stump

I was given some very high potassium fertilizer (3-0-44) to accelerate rotting of an old smoke tree stump. I bored several half-inch holes down into the stump about five inches. Then I tried to fill each hole with the chemical and then poured in water hoping it would dissolve the chemical and go to work. The chemical doesn't seem to be water soluble. Is this the way people used to do it? Should I have capped the holes? Bored them deeper? How long is it supposed to take to rot the stump? The stump is about 18 inches in diameter but has a large rotting core at the ground and below.
Thanks
OWS

Old 04-03-04, 06:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Instructions

Hi OWS

http://www.southernag.com/PDF%20Files/STUMP.pdf

This Stump Remover was listed as using potassium. Did you follow all the instructions?

When we used this on 2 large Maples we had to water everyday & cover with wet burlap everynight. If I had to do it again, I would call the Guy with the stump grinder & let the termites eat the rest. It took Months & I still wonder if it ever did work like it said.

Old 04-04-04, 05:01 AM
Y
Ows,

I've heard of people who did it this way if it's any help. They would drill lots of holes in the stump, the more holes the better. Fill all the holes with Potassium Nitrate and cover the whole stump with manure. This will burn the stump, but it will night work overnight.
Most people who have done it this way will be the first to tell you to just hire a tree guy to remove the stump with a stump grinder.

Another way would be to look into fungi or mushrooms, they also work at the stump but at a slow rate.

The main thing here is how fast you want it out, that the big question. If the stump is in the way and an eye sore. Get the grinder, it so mush easier and it can be done within 15 minutes. Any other way you try will takes years to get the stump below ground level and even when it does finally drop below ground level it will be very hard for you to grow anything in it's place.

Good luck

Old 04-10-04, 09:40 AM
OWS
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the inputs. I didn't call the stumpgrinder this time because the stump isn't in the way and is not really an eyesore. Since the tree died from a rotting center I thought it might completely disappear in a year or two. I also thought that it might be fun to do-it-myself once but I won't waste smelly horse manure over it. I would bury it in my dahlia patch. I was hoping some old-timer would tell me how he used to do it.
Happy Easter!
OWS

Old 05-06-14, 11:47 AM
I saw an interesting stump removal process at my buddies farm. He fenced the pasture (was full of stumps) and left a few pigs in there,by the end of the summer those rooters had all the stumps dug out. I was amazed!

Old 05-06-14, 05:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Good info. It is a 10 year old thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: