moldy seedlings

Old 04-12-04, 04:30 PM
TBLarcomb
Visiting Guest
Unhappy moldy seedlings

Hello.

I recently (in the past 4-5 days) planted flower seeds in a mini plastic greenhouse. I have been checking them every day, and today teh seeds had sprouted, but many of them are moldy. Does anyone know of anything I can do to save these seedlings? they look okay so far, but I am concerned about transferring the mold to the rest of the garden when I transplant. Thanks for any input anyone may have. HELP!!

Trish

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-04, 05:14 PM
What plants are these?

I would not think that the mildew or mold would survive the outdoors.

Old 04-12-04, 08:16 PM
I would take the cover off and let it dry a bit. Moisture/excessive moisture is the bane of many new sprouts. Plastic greenhouses will do this very often.

Old 04-12-04, 11:54 PM
Moldy seedlings

Seedlings should be kept damp, not wet. Otherwise, you may have moldy seedlings. Using a sterile starter mix tends to help keep mold at bay. Poor air movement and/or poor lighting in greenhouse can also contribute to moldy seedlings. Increasing greenhouse temperature, increasing air circulation and ventilation, reducing the frequency of watering, providing better water drainage, and increasing the amount of light may be helpful.

Old 04-13-04, 11:56 AM
TBLarcomb
Visiting Guest
moldy seedlings

Thanks for your response. I removed the cover and things do seem to be drying out. I believe the seedlings were indeed, too wet (obviously!). The seeds I've planted are 4 o'clocks, sunflowers, african diasies, and butterfly flower. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks.