The love of my life, Bosc pears!

Old 04-24-04, 04:07 PM
The love of my life, Bosc pears!

First off, I hope the managers of this site "Don't" make any more fields/categories than you already have, it is becoming a joke! People are starting to be confused and just saying the hell with it!!

Question to Marturo, preferably: I have always had a great love for the Bosc Pear! I never planted a tree because I always heard they were enormous and I wouldn't have room for one, much less two!
Now I have heard that they have new "Dwarf" pear trees (only interested in Bosc really, unless tempted) but know absolutely nothing about them! Is there such a tree? Are they any good? How big do the get?, etc,. You get the idea, this is a must have on my property if it is true!
Changeling

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-04, 08:50 PM
People are starting to be confused and just saying the hell with it!!

Changeling asked:
First off, I hope the managers of this site "Don't" make any more fields/categories than you already have, it is becoming a joke! People are starting to be confused and just saying the hell with it!!

Marturo said:
1st off I can only write the Powers that be, and ask why your post was moved. What I thought would help the Garden forum, was moved to what I had hoped would cover, Bears, Dogs, Cats, Birds, Skunks, Snakes, Ground Hogs etc.

Everyone including the MODs are have troubles, so it's not affecting only 1 group. I was not aware that that just because the Owners were changing their site around that the DIY site was becoming a Joke. I try to give the best answers I can, from what I have learned & practiced for 3 decades.

However since I can't call the changes, I can only try to get your very important questions back into Garden, so we can help more Gardeners.

You said:
People are starting to be confused and just saying the hell with it!!

All I can ask is that those of you who feel this way, please write the owners of DIY, you can find the (Contact us) e-mail link at the bottom of each page.

The people who are going through this hardship with you are the Moderators, who also have a life outside of DIY. We try to give as much of our free time, for free & instead of just coming in to help DIYs members, we have to also help debug the new site as well. So if we want to compare frustration levels, please at least try and see what the Moderators are going through during this change over it's no fun.

I'm not going to ask you all to be patient & this will all be over in a day or 2 because I don't know how long it will take, to work all the bugs out.

When I first took over the Garden Forum there was no Moderator & somehow this group of gardening DIYers had great conversations & it was a fun place to get together & discuss Gardening. The first thing I said when I introduced myself was, I have not come here to boss, control, & act like working for DIY for free, makes me better somehow.

I joined DIY as a Member to learn 1st & I then became a Moderator, because I believed I could help people with my experience. I have spent hours on the stickys up top with the (Helpful Garden Links) ( Who you can trust & how to find the good honest plant & Seed dealers.

Changeling
I was raised with Aisian pears & because our once Apple rich growing County has 80% Fire blight now we grow and enjoy the Aisian pears because Fire Blight won't bother them. One 4 year old tree we have, produced 108 pears last season, that we kept in a fresh state until Feb 14, we ate our last fresh ( Tree Ripe ) pears then. The light bulb pears came from Europe, & require picking un-ripe & kept in a dark cool place as they ripen into a mealy, heady smelling taste treat, if you have the patience to check them each day.

In the helpful Garden Links sticky we have some very good Fruit Tree Nurserys & most have a wealth of information about how to plan your home Orchard by size & many other things we may not think about. Also since DIY is run by it's members, perhaps another Gardener may have or is growing the
Bosc Pear & will come forth & share some knowledge with us.

Marturo

Old 04-25-04, 12:19 PM
Marturo, I'll check out the smiley's. I certainly hope you didn't think I was aiming my comments at you and the other moderators! I am well aware of the effort you guys put forward for "free".
Changeling