Mold destroying tomatoes

Old 05-03-04, 07:25 PM
testerda
Visiting Guest
Question Mold destroying tomatoes

Last year the weather was extremely rainy and my tomato plants started dying from the roots upward. Over time it killed the whole plant and when it reached the tomatoes, they rotted at the stem end first. I learned, too late, that it was cause by mold creeping up the plant, gradually. I would like to know if there is any preventive maintainence for that condition this year. I did add some lime to the soil and worked it in, but don't know if that's the proper procedure or not. This year I purchased 'tomato trees', as they are referred to. They are supposed to grow to an amazing 8' in three months. Does anyone have any experience with this variety? Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-04, 08:47 PM
Tomatos in a very wet year

Hi testerda.

Last year we had crop failure after failure, we had so much rain and cool temps it took Fall to break the curse.

We use copper sulfate liquid with NU Film 17 Sticker on our Tomatos. We can get through the early Blight & blossem end rot, then most of the late blight for a fair crop.

Some still remember when we could grow tomatos until frost, but those days are gone now. No one knows when Western NC will recover from the 2 blights ( Early & Late ) that affect our Tomatos & kill them, from the bottom up with a load of green fruit left to rot on the vine.

Last year was so wet Organic & Chemical fungicides did very little to stop the blights. Tomato's do best in hot dry weather, where we control how much water they get. Next year we are planning to try plastic hoop row covers to keep the rain off the foliage & maybe prevent the blights until frost.

Good luck this year & hope for a warm dry Summer.

Old 05-07-04, 02:25 PM
testerda
Visiting Guest
I have an idea what copper sulfate is, but where does one find it to buy? Also, what does the 'NU Film 17 Sticker' stand for or refer to? I'm not at all familiar with that term or product.

Old 05-07-04, 03:16 PM
Copper Sulfate & NU-Film 17 sticker

I get most of my needs at Southern Agricultural Insecticides, both for a source of Organic products & also the price. As a Gardener it still makes good sense to buy where the Farmer buys, because I can get a better value for my money. Look for that type of store in a city near you that sells to Farmers/Gardeners.

NU-Film 17 like a sister product to Vapor Guard ( An Antitranspirant ) & is a product made from pinol, a product made from the Pine tree. NU-Film 17 is a sticker that saves you money, by preventing the rain & elements from washing off the Copper Sulfate. One more important thing is you will be using the Copper sulfate to protect the plant from the air born spores from injecting their payload into the tomato plant.

We spray every 5 days to keep the growing plant covered & protected. Their are a group of Tomatos named Mountain__Something I think there are over a dozen but they only have some resistance & no taste.

Because we grew all Old Tyme, Heirloom Tomatos with great taste when the Farm grew hundreds of plants, I know it works. Their are Chemical man made Fungicides, that other's may use, who could help you with. However I was an Organic Farmer from 1972, until we parked the plow for good this Season, & did not study nor use any product, not certified Organic.

Always remember it's much easier to apply some sprays to prevent than to fight a full scale out break. Dormant oil & Lime & Sulphur on sleeping trees, & Dipel & Nu-Film 17 all summer to prevent Worm ( Catapillar ) out breaks or before they bore into the plant or fruit.

I hope I was of help in helping you to understand a bit more, on protecting your plants long before you are forced to pull the plant & replant. There is a lot of good info on the Internet like www.google.com & our ( helpful garden links) a sticky post that stays above where the new post are put when they come on this board.

Good luck & happy Gardening.

Old 05-07-04, 05:12 PM
testerda
Visiting Guest
Agricultural Supplies

I think I'm going to be somewhat handicapped in locating a business which provides agricultural supplies. In the yellow pages of my area the only listing for agriculture is Farm Bureau, and they are listed as consultants. There is a Tractor Supply store locally, where I found lime to mix into the soil, but I doubt if they have the kinds of insecticides to which you refer. I live in the no. pan handle of WV, about 40 miles from Pittsburgh, 20 miles no. of Wheeling, and the largest towns nearby are Steubenville, Ohio, and Weirton, WV. There is a place called Novak's Gardenscapes, but I've already called them about the problem even before I decided to post my dilemma on DoItYourself.com. They sometimes appear on the local new station WTOV Steubenville and give some advice. I heard a rep. mention that the tomato crops in the area were devastated by mold creeping up the vines and gave a suggestion for using a couple of products. At the time, my vines were completely dead and couldn't be revived, so I didn't write down the names of the products mentioned for coping with it. That's why I gave them a call early this spring to find out what they were, and they kept saying 'blossom-end rot', which I knew wasn't the case. The rot that subsequently occurred was in the stem-end, as the disease progressed up the vines. Would a treatment for blossom-end rot work in this case? I knew, already, that lime was the best treatment for that.

Old 05-07-04, 06:00 PM
Smile One in Va & 1 in Fla.

By Phone or by Internet these 2 are hard to beat.
It takes a lot of faith to order Online but here is 2 places I have spent a lot of money with, over the years. Still being a Gardener we will order from both for as long as they are open.

www.7springsfarm.com ( 426 Jerry Lane NE. Floyd County, Check Va, 24072)
I don't know how far you are from the 7 Springs Farm in Va. is from you but they are good honest folks. They also tell you more about their products than many others & that's worth it's weight in Gold.

http://www.pestproducts.net/ We have ordered Sluggo from here, & we Realy liked their price & great service.

These 2 Internet stores saved us from ordering our needs from Ca, where the shipping was sometimes more than the product. Of course they sell over the Phone also.

Old 05-08-04, 05:08 PM
testerda
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

Thank you, Marturo, for you kind helpfulness in answering my questions and providing links to gardening products websites. It is very rare these days to get advice from an expert without paying an arm and a leg. I have bookmarked the addresses for both sites. Stay in touch!

Old 05-08-04, 07:42 PM
Smile Happy Gardening

Your Welcome testerda.

I'm very happy I could help you. Feel free to ask anytime, we may be small, but I have never met a Gardener I did not like. It a wonderful way to spend time, & oh so tasty when we get to share what we grow, with Family & Friends.

Take care testerda.

Marturo.