Tomato Plants 8 feet tall!

Old 05-13-04, 05:58 PM
Tomato Plants 8 feet tall!

First off Marturo, my neighbor (one who found the mulch) says he can get Brandywine plants at a flea market he goe's to Sunday.
I did a search on tomato's and Brandy wine. I came across an article that said that caged tomatoe's can grow to 8 feet' !! Is this true?
I was raised on a farm and we didn't cage tomatoe's, they just stayed about 2.5 feet high!
Changeling

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-04, 10:25 AM
Indeterminate vrs determinate

This is when I wish we had pictures to share but I don't cut the orders, I just take them.

The first year we grew the Brandywine Tomato we used 10 foot pipes with Hemp twine every foot to weave the plants in & out. With 9 feet above ground our plants grew another 3 feet over the top.

The food was 4-1-1 and the biggest tomato was 2.75 lbs of pure heaven on a Mater sandwich. That years Brandywine crop put the Lucky Horseshoe Farm on the map. When you find the Brandywine in the spetialty produce store the have a hard green fluted top. When grown to full ripeness they are 100% edible & stay good for a few days.

Yes they will grow as tall as ten feet or more.

Old 05-14-04, 12:30 PM
And I bought 5 foot towers, I think I have a problem, LOL!
I was going to put the two poles in tomorrow for the "Fortex pole beans". I was going to us 4x4's 8 feet long. this would give me about 5 feet of pole once in the ground, is this enough or should I go back to Lowe's and get some 10 foot 4x4's which would give me 7 feet of pole??
When you say the food was 4-1-1, was that Fertrell? I have only seen two of there's at the web site and they were 4-2-4, one was "Super N" the other was "Feed-N-Grow"
By the way, when I emailed that distributer in Maryland (Fertrell) I told you about, telling him I only had a 16x16 foot plot, and asked how much did the different products cost, he quit replying (two emails), guess I'm not a big enough buyer! I have to find another dealer.

Talk to you later, Changeling

Old 05-15-04, 10:57 AM
Tomatos & growth patterns.

Hi Changeling

With where you are at the season may keep tomatos shorter so I believe the baskets will be just right if not snip the growing tips. No the food thst was 4-1-1 was Espoma & we stopped using it because it had Animal Tankage of unknown sources. I mention this so you can see the big 3 are like todays vitamins. I used to take Kelp tabs but I get all those micronutrients from the plants we grow using Kelp.

Ever take a vitamin & look down only to see all thay yellow money going flush? Well that's just the Bs how about C,D,E,A, ETC. Your money going down the drain?

Osmocote is a coated timed release due to the fact that uncontroled release would burn the plants roots to death. Organic Plant food is also timed release but not for the same reasons. We all know that a steady supply of food is healthy vers an up and down feeding. Why do I see so many Gardeners throw in the towel in late summer when the best is yet to come?

Did you ask Fertrell what their minimum sales amount was? I use a special Herbal Toothpaste that get's it's Floride from Green Tea. I had to e-mail them & say my Dentist did not carry their Dentist only sales toothpaste, & It's not my responsibility to run around begging other Dentist. The e-mailed me back & said if the Dentist would say OK & I bought 5 tubes at Wholesale price we could do it. Call them back & just ask for their minimums.

We are Do it Yourselfers & this alone sets us apart from the one lane thinkers. We dare to write the MFRs & get great deals. After all when did you last end up in Hospital, from someone saying NO! LOL

Old 05-15-04, 01:28 PM
What have I done!! I figured if you can grow them over 10 feet in Tennessee I could at least get them up to 6 feet in Maryland so I bet my neighbor (really good guy). He says there is no way. If I don't get them there (6 feet) I will never here the end of it, LOL.
I contacted Fertrell and Theressa (Spelling!) apologized for the problems with the distributer (Full Circle Farms). She said she could send me a 50lb bag (Super N 4-2-4) for about $9.00, that sounds real cheap, except I don't know what the shipping will be. I am going to see if there is another distributer near, that I can drive to. I also want to use the fish and Kelp #3 you suggested.
I bought 10 foot 4x4's today for the pole beans and just got through setting them in the ground, they are there forever! From ground to top its 7' 6". That should do it! My neighbor gave me a hand, he laughed, and said we could always hang deer from them, LOL. They are definitely over kill but what the hell!!!
Take care my friend, Changeling