Deer getting my Conflowers?????

Old 05-24-04, 02:59 PM
Deer getting my Conflowers?????

I didn't think deer like purple coneflowers - but something has chewed 1 1/2 of my six plants - just as they were starting to bud. Is there any flower I can plant next to them that might divert the deer??? Or am I doomed to digging them up and moving them

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-04, 04:00 PM
Lat spring 60% of my extensive perennial bed was hit by deer! That was about 30 or 40 different types of flowers.
I put up two strands of fishing line using rebar for the posts. One strand was about 10 or 12 inches high, the other was about 2 1/2 ft high. This deterred the deer very well. Sure they can jump over a six foot fence, but when they are walking/grazing and hit this barrier they stopped.
In the back yard in the veggie garden I played paint ball against them!

Hot pepper solution sprayed on your plants is another deterrent.

fred

Old 05-25-04, 09:40 AM
Smile Hot Hot Hotter!

Hi bogey

http://www.mastergardening.com/pest-...hot-sauce.html

Fred is right about Hot pepper. I have given you the link to Millers Hot Pepper consentrate used with Vapor guard is a surefire way to keep the deer off your plants.

Do not mistake this hot pepper with the well known Hot pepper wax that is a verry good bug repelant for flowers & food plants. I have never used this on the head part of a Broccoli plant, I would have 0 repete sales after they tasted this HOT!

There are other cheaper sprays, but I have never read where they work as well. This stuff I know from 1st hand use, repels Rabbits & Deer. Wear rubber gloves & goggles when you spray.

Old 05-25-04, 03:12 PM
Thanks so much for the great advice and also for the link to the pepper spray. I think I'll try the fising line first (tightwad) - that pepper spray seems REALLY expensive.

Old 05-25-04, 04:16 PM
$$

Yes I know, & if I did not still have over 1/2 of my bottle left after 6 years, I would have tried other things also, oh I did try everything. Well I do understand, but in this case you use so little & it works 100%.
Hey:
Perhaps you could offer to sell some, maybe 1/2 or 2/3rds to a couple of Gardening friends with deer problems.

Anyway, now you now know you are not helpless there are tools that although expensieve can help you, the Vapor Guard is a sticker, come rain or shine it helps the pepper spray stay put. On the Broccoli ( 1/4 acre ) I only had to spray once after planting, & they left the plants alone for a fine crop of heads.

Save the link you won't find a better price

Best of luck

Old 06-05-04, 04:16 PM
Doir
Visiting Guest
Question

Originally Posted by bogey
I didn't think deer like purple coneflowers - but something has chewed 1 1/2 of my six plants - just as they were starting to bud. Is there any flower I can plant next to them that might divert the deer??? Or am I doomed to digging them up and moving them
I'm new to this forum thing so I hope this gets to you!! I saw a movie once where someone used human hair from the local barber to deter some sort of animals from his garden, perhaps it was deer,I don't know but you may ask someone about this.