Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

New to forum-need drianage/landscape help...

New to forum-need drianage/landscape help...

Old 06-18-04, 10:51 AM
Twister
Visiting Guest
Smile New to forum-need drianage/landscape help...

We just bought a brand new house where we have zero property lines and our houses are only six feet apart. This means that I own six feet on one side and zero on the other. In between the houses the earth is "swaled" so that water runs away from the backyard and out to the street but is difficult to walk on because it's not level.

On either side of the throughway between my house and my neighbors house (on the side that I own) I want to do the following(with my neighbors consent:

- build a walkthrough arbor - approx. 15 feet in length or more
- underneate the arbor I want to put a levelled flagstone walkway with wooly thyme and moss in between the stones
- on either side of the walkway I want to plant alternately variegated hostas and dwarf day lillies - will they bloom in shade? If not, then Lilly of the Valley.

My main question is: underneath the walk way in the center I plan to put a drain pipe and then about a 4 to 6 inch layer of pea gravel. On top of this I want to put landscape fabric, then about 6 or 8 inches of topsoil, another layer of landscape fabric. Then I will lay the stones and plant the moss and thyme. On the right and left I will simply ammend the soil and plant the hostas and day lillies and/or lilly of the valley. I may intersperse these with shade loving clematis (if there is such a thing!) or climbing roses that also don't require much direct light since, with only six feet between houses, there is not much light.

Will all of this work and still allow for good drainage?

Thanks!

wendy

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-04, 04:26 PM
What you propose should work fine. Dry laid stones will allow drainage. Day lilies won't bloom in the shade, but hostas are excellent for shade.

Here is a link to a good shade gardening site.

http://www.gardenguides.com/TipsandT...ues/garden.htm

Here is some information on dry paving:

http://www.doityourself.com/brick/mortarlesspaving.htm

Hope this helps.

Old 06-18-04, 07:32 PM
Twister
Visiting Guest
Thanks once again!

So Chris, it would seem that you are the local gardening guru! Thanks once again for your advice...I didn't think the lillies would bloom...s'ok..I'm a huge fan of Lilly of the Valley anyway!

As for my drainage issue...do you think it's necessary for me to put in a pipe as well then? Or will the rocks suffice?

Thanks again for the shade link!

Wend

Old 06-18-04, 07:40 PM
I don't know how much rain you tend to have there. Putting in the pipe initially will prevent wishing later you had done it earlier.

Old 06-21-04, 05:58 AM
Twister
Visiting Guest
well...normally we have

watering bans in my area since our water comes from aquaducts underground and are dependent upon rainfall. However, it seems this year that we're getting nothing BUT rain. So I will follow your wise advice and put the pipe down. Thanks once again!

wendy