Trees getting out of control

Old 06-21-04, 11:16 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trees getting out of control

Hello,

I have two trees in front of my house, one is an ash tree, and the other is a maple I'm pretty sure. They were both planted when the house was built in 1993. They are about 10 feet apart (good distance for hanging a hammock!), and I guess 11 years ago that was plenty of spacing for them. However, they've since grown up, out, and together and they look pretty sloppy. I've got one of those pruning poles that I use for the lower branches by my garage, but it doesn't even reach halfway up the trees for pruning.

This sounds like a job for a tree service, right? I've never had to use a tree service (first house) so I have no idea what to ask for, or what kind of prices I' might be looking at to get these two trees cleaned up. Can anyone offer advice on where I should start, and what kind of questions to ask?

Thanks for your advice,
Scott

Old 06-21-04, 11:48 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The trees are too close together. Folks often make this mistake when planting a 3 foot tall tree without considering that it will be 30 feet wide at maturity. Large trees need to be 20 - 40 feet apart.

Pruning the trees will not be much of a benefit as far as keeping them apart is concerned, and may make for lopsided trees with poor symmetrical balance.

I think you should decide which tree to remove. Otherwise, I would let them grow unimpeded. Hammock mounting is not a bad idea for those dog days of summer.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: