Raised Bed Garden

Old 07-16-04, 07:07 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Raised Bed Garden

I would like to plant a raised bed garden but I am unsure of what type of border board to use. Wood that is in contact with soil and water should be pressure treated but logic says pressure treatment chemical would leach out and kill everything. So, what gives? Regular lumber or treated lumber. I figure 2x8 should be adequate.

Thanks
Leslie

Old 07-16-04, 07:52 PM
C
Pressure treated wood is resistant to insects. Generally, pressure treated or other woods resistant to decay are used in raised beds. Of course, brick and stone are alternatives, as is just banking and packing the soil.

Pressure treated wood is not used in vegetable gardens, because of the concern that the chemicals may leach into the soil and be taken up into the edible plants. The chemicals in pressure treated wood don't kill plants.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-20-04, 05:15 AM
deep6blue
Visiting Guest
There was an article on this recently. If I remember correctly, you should use the pressure treated wood. But line the inside of it with a weed fabric or plastic. This will prevent weeds from coming up on the inside of the border and will protect you from the chemicals as well.

I will look this evening for the magazine article. And post back with the exact directions.

Old 07-25-04, 09:46 AM
J
I am guessing this is for vegatables as the only reason to raise the soil for flowers and perennials would be for drainage. I wouldn't use pressure treated as the chemicals would be bad for anything that grows. I would suggest mounding up the soil without wood sides. It is natural and works at providing the benefits of raised beds. If you wished the bed higher use a rock border. The wood always decays, but I'll admit it looks good!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: