Growing Vegetables

Old 07-14-04, 08:08 PM
munkey
Visiting Guest
Growing Vegetables

My family is trying to grow vegetables. The problem is that we have to dig the dirt and replace it with top soil and potting soil. How do we dig the soil? Using a shovel and pitch axe takes a lot of work and time. People have suggested the we use a tille, but I dont know if it will work cuz my uncle said he tried it and it didnt work. My ground is fairly hard. I live in NC if that helps in any way. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-04, 10:00 AM
The only reason to import soil is to speed up the time. Find out what kind of soil you have. If it is hardpan (heavy clay) then calcium or gypsum will floculate (loosen) the soil. Water it in good and you will be able to dig it (shovel) then fork it. Sheet mulching (laying card board over the ground) will loosen it up in a season. Apply 1/4" thickness of compost first. If the area you are planning is 1/8 acre or more rototilling is faster but doing no-till will work as well just takes longer. Ask farmers and gardeners in your area what they use to amend the soil (minerals), or have a soil test done. Amazing things can be done with water and cover crop.

Old 07-25-04, 08:58 PM
Turning hard packed soil is hard work. A good tiller should turn any soil you can muster. Turning the soil, adding compost, and planting an initial green manure or cover crop to be turned under at the end of the season will help prepare the soil.

A soil test can tell you what amendments are needed by the soil and is more reliable than guessing. Your local county extension service can give you advice and pointers on techniques that work well in your area.

Here is some further information:

http://www.tracker-outdoors.com/gard...reparation.htm

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/vegetables.html

Hope this helps.