English Ivy in Texas

Old 07-17-04, 10:36 AM
jrp30
Visiting Guest
English Ivy in Texas

Hello,

I live in Dallas, TX and planted some English Ivy to grow up a trellis I have. I planted this in April, and for the first three months it did quite good. However, now that our summer has really kicked in, the Ivy is dying (or seems to have already died).

I have it in an area that gets about six hours of direct sunlight, and water it daily . . . but no luck. I was under the impression they were quite hearty and could stand the brutal heat of Texas. Obviously this is not the case. I planted some in the back that gets only half the sunlight, and while it is not growing as quickly, it is still very much alive.

My question: what is a good "climbing" plant grow on this trellis? Preferably a perinnial plant (no morning glories).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-04, 10:44 AM
The saying about ivy is that the first year it sleeps, the second year it creeps, the third year it leaps. Check that you are not overwatering it leaving it with wet feet.

Yellow jasmine or confederate jasmine will grow in the heat and climb a trellis with training. They also make good ground cover.

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/55230/

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/1262/

Hope this helps.

Old 07-18-04, 11:12 AM
jrp30
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure it is dead as it is brown, wilted, and the leaves are falling off. I water it the same frequency (depth) as my lawn via the sprinkler system.

I'm wondering about Honeysuckle? I've read that does well in the full sun/heat. I'm wanting something that will grow pretty rapidly.

Old 07-19-04, 08:18 AM
the english ivy will tollerate morning sun in txas, but not the intense evening sun. as far as something to grow on a trelles that is fast and perennial, take a look at wysteria and trumpet vine. the jasmines are also good here. for semiperennial, depending on how cold we get, you could use passion vine.

Old 08-05-04, 07:39 AM
Visiting Guest
Same problem

I've had the exact same problem with my English Ivy. I live in Dallas as well, have (or I guess 'had') a wall covered in English Ivy that receives 6-8 hours of direct Texas sun. The ivy was planted 4 years ago, and has performed fairly well, although it always looked a bit rough during the middle of the summer. So mine had already gone through the sleep-creep-leap phase.

In early July this year, however, the leaves turned brown, first in patches, and then on the whole wall. Now it's obviously dead, despite a good watering program throughout.

I've talked to several people about it, and this is the general consensus:
1) the plant had severe 'leave scorch' - if you recall, we had a ton of rain in June (the 2nd or 3rd wettest June on record), followed by blistering heat and dry wind the first weeks of July. I'm no plant expert, but apparently this is very tough on plants, especially those exposed to the sun. The plant goes into shock for lack of a better word, and can't draw enough water to support itself. Lots of watering and mulch are about the only thing you can do, and even that didn't work in my case.
2) added to this, apparently English Ivy was NOT the best choice for this location. My research now indicates that direct sun and English Ivy don't mix.

I don't have an answer for you yet on what else to plant, but I'm looking for the same type of climbing vine - perinnial, with foliage from top to bottom. I have carolina jasmine on some other trellisis, but it tends to drop the leaves from the bottom part of the vine as it climbs. I've also tried honeysuckle, but it's a pretty woody plant that also lacks the nice even coverage I want (I want the wall to be green, top to bottom). I like the sound of Boston Ivy, but it's not a perinnial. Still looking....keep me posted if you hear of something.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-14-04, 07:45 AM
mouse2508
Visiting Guest
Similar problem, different diagnosis

We have a bed of english ivy under oak trees so they are provided relief from the sun much of the day. Likewise, after the June rains we noticed "dying" plants throughout the bed. If I'm allowed to mention radio hosts, I contacted Neil Sperry and he diagnosed as a possible fungal problem and suggested "diconal" (sp ) be applied every 2 weeks until the end of the season. I'm just beginning the process of applying this treatment. If anyone has other comments/suggestions would like to hear them.