how to remove tree stumps

Old 07-20-04, 09:35 AM
googs
Visiting Guest
Question how to remove tree stumps

undefinedundefinedhello there everyone
i am new to gardening and would love if someone could give me some advice
what the problem is that we have two very large trees growing in our small front garden.i have tried to trim the trees down but as the trees are actually taller than my house this is getting harder to do.
i have asked our local authority to remove them but they say that unless the trees are dangerous they will not do this.
so while i can remove most of the branches myself i would like to ask how to kill off the rest of the tree to make it easier to remove.
someone suggested drilling a hole in the stump and filling it with salt which will corrode it and kill it.will this work?
please could someone offer me some advice as to what i could do
thank you
marc and susan

Old 07-20-04, 11:28 AM
deep6blue
Visiting Guest
We just removed 4 stumps last evening.

Stumps are hard work, so prepare for it. First, how big are these trees? If they are only a few inches around, you might be able to dig them out. Any larger and you should rent a chainsaw and cut them as much as possible.

Do you have a truck? We dug around the stumps and cut the major roots. Then, using a tow rope, carefully pulled them out with a truck. This was really easy and saved tons of time.

Old 07-20-04, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
What works for me is to cut the tree off at five feet above the ground.
This gives you a great deal of leverage when using a truck to pull.
As you expose the roots with a shovel and pick, cut them and use the vehicle to pry the tree over as you weaken the root structure.

Old 07-21-04, 05:47 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
why not just rent a stump grinder or hire it done?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: