Planting over limestone driveway

Old 07-28-04, 11:40 AM
HouseDr
Visiting Guest
Planting over limestone driveway

The previous owner of our home created a parking lot for some reason all over. We had a driveway installed and want to plant over the remaining limestone areas. In some area we will create beds and other areas will be grass. We want to cover the limestone with about 4" of topsoil. Will this create a problem for the grass areas or the beds? We are concerned that the limestone will create a very alkaline soil but aren't there some plants that thrive in high alkaline soils? We are hoping not to have to remove all the limestone.

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-04, 01:27 PM
Limestone Garden

I think 6" of topsoil would be better. No need to worry about the soils Ph changing much, as limestone takes decades to leach a little bit. I have been using Limestone fines ( Sand size ) by the ton on our acre for 10 years, for soil improvement with great results.

How is the drainage in that limestone now? That is a concern I would look at first.

Old 07-29-04, 06:06 AM
HouseDr
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your input.

The limestone is packed rather firmly as there was much vehicle traffic on this area for years. I intend to loosen the compacted stone before I add topsoil. I will add 6" of topsoil.

I'm curious about the limestone you add to your lawn. What benefits do you get and how do you spread it? I used pulverized limestone under my walkway and it's fairly inexpensive. I would consider using it on my lawn if there is benefit.

Thanks.

Old 07-29-04, 09:41 AM
Limestone fines

That is a good question.

For many years we paid $60.00 for a ton of pulverized Franklin Hi Cal Limestone. Our spreader was designed for pellets, so it was spread by hand.

Living in the East coast we have acid rain, so a change in soil Ph was a must. However it was the Calicium that both people & plants need, & the cost of the baged product, that got us to look localy. We found a quarry that offers limestone fines for $6.00 a ton.

It must be hand cast as it is very sharp & will do a number on the plastic spreaders. The sand like limestone works it's way into the lawn & gardens getting finer as it is mowed, & tilled. This has improved our yard & gardens over all soils health, & drainage.

Many people still use the dolomitic lime, grey in color & low in calicium but high in Magnesium. Most areas have more than enough of the Micronutrient Magnesium & not nearly enough Calicium. Calicium is in the news today because of it's need in body & bone health, Farmers have known for generations about the plants need for calicium, & how poorly they grow without it.

That's my experience with crushed white limestone, & the feelings of many of my friends who use it on their lawns, & gardens also.