jalapinos not hot

Old 08-08-04, 07:33 PM
Angry jalapinos not hot

This is wierd but i plant jalapinos every year. well now its harvest time and my wife and i love to make poppers. when we started making them this evening my wife cut a piece of jalapino in half to taste fresh well she said that they werent hot so i stuffed a whole one in my mouth and nothing no heat so we started sampling several and nothing no heat have you ever heard of this

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-04, 11:35 AM
Unhappy Not Hot?

That's terrible however yes I have grown Jalapeno M that were no hotter than bell peppers.
Did you use seed that you saved from last year? Does the Pkt say Jalapeno M ?

The breeders have catered to the milder palates of the American people, & now you will find all kinds of luke warm peppers on the market. I know there are seed houses like www.chiliheads.com ( could be right I don't remember).

In any case you can find a Hispanic grocery store & pick out 5 or 6 red jalapeno peppers, & set them on a paper towel & plate. After they dry out gather the seeds & put them into a baggie then write with a magic marker where you got them & the date.

Another way is to do a Google search on Hot pepper seed etc. There are a lot of small seed sellers who have the real McCoys also don't forget to save your own seed for that same great burn the year after. Most Jalapenos are not hybrids, so save some $ and get what you want.

Old 08-19-04, 09:15 PM
Copperlilac
Visiting Guest
Could have been the plant itself or the seeds that were used in planting. However, I've found that in growing the hotter pepper varieties myself that the hotter and dryer the weather, the hotter the pepper will be. One year I bought some plants from a local retailer and with the hot dry weather they were HOT. More so than they should have been. The next year I planted the same variety and we had more rain during their growing season, and they were more mild.