Getting rid of weeds & alien plants...

Old 08-06-04, 09:12 PM
joe123
Visiting Guest
Getting rid of weeds & alien plants...

Just bought a old house that hasn't beeen lived in for awhile and the backyard is a basic jungle. A couple weeks ago I conducted an expedition in my yard by trying to remove the weeds and alien plants. Now, it's all back!! Is getting rid of the top soil completely the only way to rid myself of this green nightmare??

Old 08-06-04, 09:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Green Jungle

What are your future plans for the yard? It would help me decide what you should use to use.

Old 08-07-04, 01:57 AM
joe123
Visiting Guest
Weeds in yard...

The weeds and plants are all over the yard. I just simply want to rid myself of the plants so I can grow some normal lawn grass.

Old 08-07-04, 09:04 PM
Growing a nice lawn

Hi Joe

We both had similar problems. When we moved into our present house we had fields of weeds, & small trees etc.

Since we had a friend with a Troy-Bilt tiller, & a pick up truck to pull out the small trees. We tilled & limed the soil then added fertlizer. A trip down to the nursery in town yielded a mix of grass seeds that came up so fast, & choked out any weed seeds. Over the years a yearly reseeding has kept our lawn areas around the Flower, & Vegetable gardens green, & lush.

If I had it to do again, & had the money I would have planted Zoysia Grass ( perhaps mispelled ) plugs & saved myself a lot of mowing Rainy years like the last 2 it seems I'm mowing it twice a week.

You may also want to post your question over in the Lawns Forum as 2 heads are better than one. Remember when mankind get's their plants to grow as good or better than the weeds, we will truly have gained dominion over the Earth

Old 08-08-04, 07:33 PM
C
I would second Marturo's post. Being more of a chemical guy, I would cut it back, spray it with roundup, and plant zoysia. I have 20,000 sf of zoysia. It will control weeds on its own when established. During extreme drought it looks terrible, but will spring right back.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: