Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Gardenia Help Needed--Yellowing and Browning Leaves

Old 08-11-04, 04:11 PM

I have 5 gardenia plants. Two are doing terrific. The other three, one especially, are yellowing and also turning brown. I give them miracle grow food for azaleas, etc (formerly Miracid), and they were doing great until now. I have sprayed them when they started yellowing with Iron Green spray or something like that, on the leaves as instructed, but not helping.

Any other ideas?

When I planted them this spring, I mixed the soil with miracle grow garden soil, which should have made the soil better than just using the dirt in the ground.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-04, 08:51 PM
I suspect that this is inadequate iron. I had the same problem with newly planted gardenias last year. It will take a while for the new leaves to grow, because the treatment won't help the existing leaves. Keep them watered.

Follow the directions on the iron product to be sure that the plants get enough, but don't overdo it.

I don't use miracid on gardenias, just traditional plant food.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-12-04, 05:41 AM
Thanks. Hopefully that's all it is. If not, oh well, I'll return them to Home Depot in the spring and get new ones under their one year guarantee.

Gardenias are temperamental aren't they. But they sure do smell good!