Evening Primrose

Old 09-07-04, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Evening Primrose

Hi,
A few months ago I planted my first flower bed and put in some "evening primrose". This stuff grows like weeds. it has weaved it's way through all my other plants and is getting hard to control. There are some sprouts coming up 3 feet away from the base of the plant!! I'd love to spray it with round up but don't want to kill my other plants.
Anyone out there familiar with this flowering mess? It is pretty, but I don't want it taking over my planting beds and am totally afraid it will work it's way into my new lawn also. If I remove the "mother" plant will the remaining roots in the ground just continue to grow or die off?
Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-07-04, 08:50 PM
Invasive plants

I had Horse Raddish get loose in my aspargus beds. We just kept cutting the tops out 4 inches below the surface. You can get a weeding tool that has a shaft with a forked cutting head for cutting the tops off below the soil.

After 3 years we had one plant come up this season, & we kept it cut down all Summer. If I grow Horse Raddish again I will put it in a 10 gallon pot with the bottom cut out, & 4 inches above the soil.

The one truth of Gardening is some plants will take over the land. As Gardeners it's our job to control weeds, & unruly plants. Useing the weeding method kills the root systems without harming the other plants. It takes longer but the results last longer also.

If I remove the "mother" plant will the remaining roots in the ground just continue to grow or die off?
Tes every piece that is left will grow. Cutting the Sun out will kill the roots completly.

Old 09-08-04, 10:07 AM
Thanks for your reply.

I know now not to plant anything I'm not familiar with.

I plan to just dig as much out as I can, then mulch in hopes to keep out the sun..

Old 09-08-04, 12:40 PM
Good plan.

That seems like a good plan to me. You can buy the perforated ground cloth at most nurserys. I have been using natural Eculyptus mulch for the small flower beds it comes in colors also. I have also seen a mulch made from recycled tires but have not used it.

The one thing both top mulches have is no bugs or fungi, & that helps keep the mulch good for many years. We buy 2nds of the 12' X 500' feet long rolls for $50.00 & use the cloth doubled for Vegies. A 12' x 100' area with holes cut every 3' feet & rows at 2 1/2' gives us a large weed free crop of Broccoli. We can use the cloth for 5 or 6 years it's the time savings each day from weeding that gives us more time for other projects.

We do till the areas we grow our crops on before laying the cloth down however we have also used the same cloth to kill out a 10' X 500' area we are planting Blueberries. Without killing out the plants & their roots first we could never keep the Plants clean & weed free like they are today.

You can still enjoy the Mints & other invasieve plants as long as you plant inside a border. The 10 or 20 gallon used black pots that Landscapers have left over from the small trees they plant. I cut the bottom out & leave 4 inches above ground this keeps most plants in check watch those plants that fall over and start like the mints.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: