Banana Peppers?

Old 09-27-04, 03:51 PM
Banana Peppers?

Normally I have only grown bell Type peppers but this year I bought two pepper plants that were evidently mislabeled.
They turned out to be peppers about 5/6 inches long and about 1 to 2 inches thick, tapering. The color was pale yellow for a long time then they went through shades of orange to red, "very productive", produced lots of peppers.
The walls of the peppers are somewhat thin with a sweet taste.

1. I really liked these peppers and would like to know what they were by specific type or where to get some seed if you recognize by my description?
2. Is there a superior type of this pepper which I should also consider?

Thanks, Changeling

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-04, 02:19 PM
Smile Pointed sweet peppers

There are so many pointed sweets it's hard to say. However for a really useful, & tasty one try (Corno di Torro) aka Horn of the Bull.

Most peppers can be found @ www.stokesseeds.com They carry lot's of seeds from around the World. This Pepper is from Italia

Old 10-04-04, 01:39 PM
Marturo, nice to hear from you. i hope your gardening went well this year. Did you happen to get any of the beans to sprout?
That little 16 x 16 foot garden i put together did extremely well! One of the tomato plants was feeding neighbors on both sides of me even though they had tomatoes. They liked those brandywine better.
However next year I am going to have some 10 foot towers made out of concrete wire or something with "BIG" openings. the 5 foot towers were a complete joke. That dam tomato plant grew up the tower, broke it down and then grew over 5 feet to the garden edge and is now about 6 feet outside of the garden. I would estimate that right now there are 30 or so tomatoes on it but the frost will probably get them eventually.
Some new questions to ask but will save till later.
Thanks for the pepper tip, I'll plant them next year.
Changeling

Old 10-04-04, 05:32 PM
Smile Peppers beans & Tomatos.

Marturo, nice to hear from you. i hope your gardening went well this year. Did you happen to get any of the beans to sprout?

Hi Changling

Sounds like you had a great Garden adventure this season
We did real well also with most of the season then there was the 2 Tropical storms. Ivan wiped out some trees in the orchard & gave us over a foot of rain.

The beans we tried them 2 seprate times once in June & then again we tried them in July. Not 1 plant sprouted to at least get some starter seeds.

All in all it has been a great season with Sweet Corn doing real well. It was dumb luck that we had a 1951 Sears generator. Loosing 2 freezers full of Vaccum Pak Organic Produce to get us through the Winter would be a costly loss. We dried a lot & the Concords we loaded enough for Juice & jelly.

Misting the Dipel over the Corn killed out more of the Corn worms than the old oil the corn silk method. Also using the same Dipel Spray on the Grapes from the first flower clusters & spraying every two weeks saved loosing 40 percent of the Grapes to Worms & fungus.

We also ate our first fresh Figs since the second transplanting I believe the Surround white clay spray gave us more growth by kepping the plant Temps down when it was so hot, so the Fig is doing great.

Old 10-05-04, 12:35 PM
Sorry to hear about the freezer losses! I lost a whole hind quarter of beef once for a freezer quiting on me.
I am really sorry to here about the beans, what a terrible loss, they were awesome, if I had only put the seed in the freezer, the seed might have been OK!
Take care, Changeling