Flowering houseplant needs help...

Old 10-03-04, 09:26 AM
mikyel847
Visiting Guest
Flowering houseplant needs help...

I have an indoor flowering plant with thick waxy leaves that produces several clusters of pink blooms which look like plastic. This plant has bloomed several times during the year. Recently, I repotted it with much difficulty because it was so rootbound that the water would just sit on top and would not be absorbed so it would smell. Since then the leaves are thin and lifeless and I am afraid that it's not going to survive. I have made 3 other plants from cuttings in the past but they do not flower like the original. If anyone knows anything about this plant (even the name of it) and can help I would appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-04, 05:39 PM
Smile Hoya Carnosa?

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week029.shtml

Let me know if this is it.

Old 10-04-04, 08:59 PM
mikyel847
Visiting Guest
Yes my plant is the hoya carnosa. Have you got any information about repotting it. As I explained before, since repotting it 2 weeks ago, the leaves are thinning out and I don't want to lose it. Also, the other plants that were produced from cuttings have not flowered. Do only some of these types of plants flower? Any further information would be appreciated.

Old 10-05-04, 09:29 AM
Smile Hoya carnosa

I can try to help you. We got ours as a gift in a 4" pot before too long we put it into a hanging basket. It grew slowly at first & since it was so scragly I just cut off 5 inches to make it even.

Taking it into the Green House for Winter & hanging it on the limb of our Bird feeder branch was it's life. Our plant is 20 years old, 3 feet long & likes a good foliage spray down each week in Summer.

I would try bottom watering it in a pan of water for about 2 hrs. Let it drip dri after that. When a plant like this that likes to be rootbound you should bottom water & feed it during the growing season. Hoya's by nature hold water long times it it's leaves, & you should never over water or put them in soil that stays wet for long periods. That's very important in Winter. However now you are making feeder roots so a good bottom watering may be needed a couple of times over a week.

It was near 5 years before our cuttings started flowering. After you get to where it is growing well only trim back the old branches as the new wood is where the flowers grow.

I wish you good luck in regaining it's health & don't worry about the cuttings they will flower soon. This is a plant friend for life if you do your part, it will be there year after year.