making flower bed

Old 10-08-04, 05:51 AM
alorenzo
Visiting Guest
making flower bed

I'd like to turn a section of grass into a flower bed.
Does anyone know the best way to do this?
Should I use a tiller, should I kill off the grass first, put topsoil over the grass, put down a weed barrier over the grass and then put topsoil over that?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-04, 06:42 AM
Remove the grass either by digging it out or killing it. If you simply turn it under, it will be back. If you dig it, throw it on the compost heap.

Turn the soil about six inches, more if you have hardpan or clay substrate at six inches. I prefer to turn beds 12 inches. This would be a good time to turn under a couple of inches of compost, just for the general benefit of the soil.

When you plant a plant, be sure to make a large hole for the plant. As some say, plant a $1.00 plant in a $10.00 hole. You have one chance to plant the plant. Break up the soil and add some compost to the soil when replacing it in the hole.

If you want to use landscape fabric, put it down before planting after the soil has been worked. Cut an X in the fabric to plant. Cover the fabric with your choice of mulch. This helps retain moisture.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-08-04, 07:11 AM
alorenzo
Visiting Guest
how do you recommend I kill the existing grass?
(I'm assuming it would be a lot easier to kill it then to dig it out)

Old 10-08-04, 08:10 AM
If the grass is actively growing, spray it with roundup. It will take a few days for the kill to show. It will be faster to dig the grass out. If you kill it, you can then turn it under or dig it out.