Cleaning vinyl siding?

Old 12-17-04, 10:24 AM
MrfixitDad
Visiting Guest
Cleaning vinyl siding?

What is the safest method to clean vinyl siding? I'm not really sure what to use. I have what looks like mildew in several or the darker corners around my house and would like to get it cleaned off.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-04, 05:17 AM
Group Moderator
A pressure washer does a good job cleaning vinyl siding and is about the easiest way to reach higher places and little nooks and crannies.

Old 12-18-04, 05:43 AM
A good mixture to use to spray on the siding is household bleach 25% with water and a tablespoon of Tide. Spray this on the siding and let it sit for about 5 minutes, then rinse it off. It will kill the mildew and remove all the dirt and grime. Be sure to wet down the adjacent area before and after the spray to rinse it off of any plants or other things that might be damaged by the bleach, which is a caustic compound.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-18-04, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator
I might add:

I agree that a pressure washer would do a good job on vinyl.

A word of caution though is to be carefull how you spray, especially if you use a powerfull washer.
Make sure that you try not to spray into the joint where each piece joins the next.
Direct the spray at a slight downward angle if you have horizontal siding.

I loaned a friend a 2500 [email protected] 2.5 gpm gas powered washer and he managed to pop apart a joint.