Back pain

Old 12-19-04, 09:08 AM
g_clark_uk
Visiting Guest
Smile Back pain

I struggle with back pain especially when lifting and stretching, Gardening is a major problem with me and wondered if I was alone in this? are there any useful products people know of to help me in digging, moving earth etc?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-04, 10:10 AM
Some questions start with why you have pain in your back. If it is result of disease or injury, the routine aids that many use may be of no benefit or may work to your detriment.

I find that full size, top quality tools are better made for working and easier to use. I use a scuffle hoe to avoid chopping weeds. To move small amounts of soil, I use a wheelbarrow. For larger amounts, my tractor has a trailer that holds 2/3 cubic yards. It has a dump function that avoids having to shovel the soil from it. I have a pair of industrial quality knee pads for use when kneeling for short periods of time. If intend to spend a lot of time weeding, I use a large Tide bottle, filled with water for seat about 8 inches off the ground. This reduces bending to weed. It has been my experience that regular physical exercise helps with some of the nagging pains of general activities.

Over time, I have seen many tools designed especially for folks with certain problems, such as: inability to bend, poor wrist flexibility. I feel as though it would be necessary to understand more clearly what problem you have and what specific activity needs addressing. With a bit more focus, some searching could produce some options for techniques of work as well as options in tools and their design.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-20-04, 06:09 PM
Group Moderator
I think I'm too young to have a bad back and sore muscles... but it happens.

My general joint aches and paines have been greatly helped by taking Glucosamine Chondroitin supplements. It still hurts when I stand after working on my knees pulling weeds, but the pain rapidly goes away.

I stick with full size tools. I can work with a long handled shovel while standing properly. Short handled tools force me to bend over too much (like sovels with the "D" handle).

When I carry heavy objects I do better keeping balanced. I can carry a heavy bucket in each hand without much trouble, but a full 5 gallon bucket in one hand puts a strain on my back. A wheel barrow or garden cart can spare you of much of the heavy carrying.

When trying to keep weeds out of a walkway or gravel driveway. A broad herbicide (Round-Up, Glyfoss...) in a sprayer is much easier on the back then bending over to pull weeds.