flowers for full sun.....

Old 12-30-04, 08:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
flowers for full sun.....

any ideas what i can use for full sun for my front and back yard. i have absoluty no trees and shade ,well except when the sun moves thru out the day from around the house (lol my house is the shade),and my ground is dirt,kinda loose under the new grass which was put in august (just so u know the house is appx 8 mths old)
anyways im looking for shrubs and flowers,that will stay thru out the spring to begining of fall....i know impatians are good but i'd like something more than just imp's.
looking forward to hearing some ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-04, 09:22 AM
im not too familiar with your zone, but around here we use dark leaf begonia[ the light leaf are shade only here] marigolds, petunias[ they only last till about june in our heat], verbina[ perennial here]. i think with your mild summers you should have many more options than we do. try going to the local nursery and ask for more options.

Old 12-30-04, 04:48 PM
If you want shrubs that are not deciduous, try indian hawthorne. It will bloom nicely, possibly twice annually in your warm zone. Encore azaleas bloom twice and are evergreen in your zone. Although deciduous, butterfly bushes will bloom long. Lantana blooms constantly, but dies back to the ground in winter. For a hardy bloomer, zinnias are hard to beat. Annuals though they may be, the worst heat won't hamper them. For evergreen with winter color camellias are rewarding.

Talking to your local nursery folks can give you some ideas., too. There are many favorites that gardeners have, and they love to promote the good ones.

Last edited by chfite; 12-30-04 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 12-30-04, 06:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
hmmmm......

great , thanks to both who responded. i appreciate all the help on who , who know's best on what i'd like to have,and my needs based on my situation due to mucho sun.
i have a new home on the block ...lol, i wanna kick ass !!!!..when it comes to flowers and shrubs.
the last thing i want is to have dying flowers and shrubs on a new home ,which is 8mths old.by the time spring comes around in april i want flowers & shrubs galor!

Last edited by IWANTEXOTIC; 12-30-04 at 07:57 PM.