morning glory seeds?

Old 01-30-05, 12:29 PM
Cool morning glory seeds?

Greetings....First, A gardener I am not. Second, last year we planted morning glory seeds in window boxes at the base of our deck and ran brown twine upwards to the railings. We were astonished at the privacy and the cool intimate feeling it gave to our deck. Well, we saved about three hundred seeds in an envelope and our question is this. We live in NH and want to know if we can start these seeds indoors (when?) this year to save time and then transplant them outside (but when?) ...THANKS. Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-05, 03:47 PM
Start the seeds indoors 4 - 6 weeks before all danger of frost has passed. Transplant outdoors, after all danger of frost has pased. Morning glories do well in sandy soil, but seem to grow most anywhere. A southern exposure will keep the blooming period at its best.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-31-05, 05:34 AM
thanks for the reply....when i start the seeds should i use the peat cups or can i use the cheaper green plastic starter trays that look like real big ice cube trays? thanks! oh! one seed per cup or tray spot?
-Bob

Old 01-31-05, 05:53 AM
Use whatever suits your fancy. The peat cups are easy: plant and transplant, no fuss. I put a couple or three seeds in each to ensure germination and thin when about three inches tall.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-31-05, 09:00 AM
Thanks so much...it's been a long winter so far and I look forward to this.

-Bob

Old 03-23-05, 01:09 PM
putzing
Visiting Guest
Morning glory seeds must be nicked before planting or they will not germinate well, if at all. Nick them with a knife, just cut through the outer black cover. Soak them in warm water overnight. Expand those flat peat sead thingies, plop in a cup, then add your soaked seed. Keep warm so mold does not become a problem.

I think if you sow 4-6 weeks before constant 45 degree weather (at night) you should be ok. I don't think they will tolerate a frost.