worm bin?

Old 02-14-05, 11:26 AM
worm bin?

Can anyone give me details about a worm bin, as far as maintaining one, size, etc. etc.

Thanks,

Bob Hut

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-05, 11:40 AM
When I fished a lot, I built a 18" x 24" x 5-1/2" box with a thin wooden top and screen bottom. I got some evergreen "leaves" from a local florist and stored my worms in it. Just had to maintain the moisture in it. I also put coffee grounds in it occasionally. I have seen people here in Arkansas wet the ground and cover with black plastic tarps or garbage bags in a shady area. When you lift it, there always seem to be worms there.

Old 02-27-05, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Well Bob, what do you want to know? I hate to say it, but my wife loves her worms...

If you have a specific questions go ahead and ask, otherwise try going to: forums.gardenweb.com/forums/verm/

Old 03-01-05, 06:55 AM
worm bin

Thanks Dane. That's a very informative forum, and has answered most of my questions. I am curious though, about your "wife loving her worms". Does she use them for the garden, or does she just love to fish?

Thanks again Dane

Old 03-01-05, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
She has threatened my life if I ever take the worms for a "walk" down by the pond...

My wife is very big into recycling and uses the worms to handle our kitchen scraps and newspapers. The worm castings are then used in the garden or flower bed.

I made her a "separator" out of several 5 gallon buckets and various sizes of screen. The large screen is on the top and they get progressivley smaller towards the bottom. You dump the worm castings in the top and shake the "tower of buckets". Only the really fine good stuff makes it to the bottom. The worms and undigested stuff are trapped in the upper buckets and go back in the bin to work some more.