creeping juniper

Old 02-15-05, 11:45 AM
dave519
Visiting Guest
creeping juniper

I have some bare spots in my yard which is covered with creeping juniper. Do you have any suggestions on when is the best time to replant and what I should do in the way of preparation (e.g. new soil, mulch etc). I hear that this stuff is hard to get started--the stuff that is there is very hearty though.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-05, 02:41 PM
Creeping juniper is easy to grow, drought tolerant and low maintenance landscaping. You should be able to find it local garden centers in the spring. Dig bowl-shaped hole twice as wide as deep. Don't dig hole too deep as plants may settle too deep. As you dig, mix in a 2-inch deep layer of planting mix, compost, or other type of organic matter. Don't plant too deeply. Make sure that the topmost roots are covered with about 1/2 inch of soil, but avoid piling soil or mulch up around the main stem. Always water plants the day before planting and also water the ground after you are finished setting out a new shrub. When the dampened soil settles, spread a 2- to 3-inch deep blanket of mulch to control weeds and keep the soil moist.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1107.htm