copper patina on trellis

Old 11-22-99, 01:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Does anyone know of a chemical that could be used to create patina on copper? I've made a garden trellis from copper pipe, and would like to create a patina finish before installing it. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-99, 01:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Go ahead and install it. Normal weathering will produce a patina within a couple of months that'll look better than any product you could apply.

Old 11-22-99, 01:43 PM
Visiting Guest
You may clean the copper throughly with a acid prep wash designed to clean copper prior to soldering (available at any hardware store), then apply a wiped on layer of patina wash available from any stained glass supplier.

Old 11-22-99, 01:44 PM
Visiting Guest
If you want the green aged look, you can buy a product from a stained glass supplier called sal amoniac block, dissolve a little of this in water, apply with a small brush and wa-la aged green copper patina. To my knowledge there isn't an authentic green patina prep that comes in a bottle.( I could be wrong). If anyone knows of a specific product, I too would be interested in knowing the name of it.

Old 11-22-99, 01:45 PM
Visiting Guest
try washing your copper with buttermilk. i havn't tried this but a buddy of mine swears this will give what you want.if it works you have a cheap way of doing it, if not you can drink the rest of the buttermilk.